jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think we give too much attention to celebrities in the news?

1. oldcoincollector profile image59
    oldcoincollectorposted 6 years ago

Do you think we give too much attention to celebrities in the news?

It seems like no matter what "mews" channel I watch the biggest topic is what the celebrities are doing. There is so much going on in the world but unfortunately Fox, CNN, C Span and others seem to be more interested in entertainment than they are in news.

2. profile image0
    Charlene Marianoposted 6 years ago

Yes, we do give too much attention to celebrities in news channels because these are what TV stations offer to us, consumers. It seems that TV stations believe that everything that celebrities do is newsworthy eventhough in reality it is just for publicity's sake and just crap news.

3. teyeger82 profile image76
    teyeger82posted 6 years ago

I agree that too much attention is given to celebrities in the media.  Somehow though I think at the root of it, it is a supply and demand issue.  I think a large segment of the general public clamors for this type of news.  Why?  I do not know.  I for one could care less what Britney Spears sang, wore, ate on her last venture out.  But think back to when Michael Jackson died and the three ring circus with that.  I am not being disrespectful to Jackson but I cannot believe the reaction of people to someone they had in most cases never met.  I am like you about the news.  You cannot turn it on or read about it without there being some celebrity gossip front and center.  It really is not "newsworthy" - we have a lot more serious issues we should all be worried about or we should be spending our time in a more productive way.

4. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

I have to agree with you, celebrities -- whether they  be athletes, musicians, or actors -- get far too much attention in the news.  I can't even watch  the news anymore because I'm tired of the half an hour dedicated to movies and the two minutes to the state of world affairs.

5. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

I think humans are naturally voyeuristic and generally enjoy being 'informed' of other peoples lives. There is lots going on in the world but unfortunately that 20% of 'news' consists of murder, war, crime and recession.
    Id rather be entertained.... by reading a book smile

6. Alecia Murphy profile image78
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

I think that some people want to escape the tragedy of real news. I know I do sometime. I think for me it stems from 9/11 and the bombardment we received of every single detail. Yes, it was tragic, yes it was horrendous but I felt like life would never be normal again. I couldn't even watch my favorite afterschool show (TRL) without feeling guilty for not being able to help more than I could. I couldn't go to school without turning around to see if anyone suspicious was behind me. So in a way, I could turn to Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, or whatever other entertainment show and escape the "war on terror." But now it does seem like we are being hit over the head by non-entertainment networks/shows with celebrity news. I would hope that balance could be struck without people feeling hit over the head with any kind of news.

working