Is a television in your home, or do you not have time for it?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (71 posts)
  1. aviannovice profile image86
    aviannoviceposted 10 years ago

Is a television in your home, or do you not have time for it?

2. StoneCircle profile image88
    StoneCircleposted 10 years ago

I have a tv in my home but due to location and finances there is no channel surfing to be had. I use it as a monitor for movies, music, xbox, viewing pictures for about 2 hours a day. The rest of the time I write, garden, go for walks with my dogs, go to community events and do a craft project. 
    When I go to someone else's home that does have tv with channels to surf, I find it quite boring and wonder why people bother with it when all it does is tell you:
    you are hungry
    you need this cologne to catch a woman/man
    you wear the wrong clothes
    you are fat
    you are skinny
    murder is everywhere and will be investigated
    reality has a bunch of idiots living in it

It is truly mind numbing.

aviannoviceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are so right about the modern programming.  t tends to be a bore.  It really would be nicer if we had better shows.  When I had a TV, I liked the DIY, food, and gardening channels.

3. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

Yes, we do have 2 television at home, one LED TV and the other an old CRT monitor TV. Frankly speaking, we had not watch TV after my mother in law had shifted to her new house. All the while, she was the one who had been watching the TV. Now, my son watch TV only when I asked him to as I am afraid that he might get hooked to notebook and Ipad .

I understand that.  Many people say that the kids don't spend any time exercising any more due to the hand held devices, console games, computer, Ipad, etc.  That's another great reason to get out of the house to do family things when at all possible

4. Hyphenbird profile image81
    Hyphenbirdposted 10 years ago

Yes we have a television. We do not have cable or satellite. We subscribe to NetFlix so we can choose only what we want to see. That is only $8 a month and my little boy mostly uses it. I really do not have time or interest in television programs. The longer I go without seeing current programming, the less I wish to spend time on it.
    Great question!

Hyphen, I am the same way, and I am glad that there are others like me out there.  I don't have one, as I just can't find the time(nor do I really want to!).  BUT I sometimes have to force myself to pt the radio on.

5. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 10 years ago

I moved in here two months ago and haven't even plugged in my tv yet. In all honesty, it was given to me and I don't even know if it works!

I moved in here 2 years ago, and spend a good bit of my time taking photos of birds at the lake across the street.  If I didn't have a radio, I might not find out about anything!

6. Taleb80 profile image81
    Taleb80posted 10 years ago

I have television in my home, I keep reducing the time I give to it. I am reading more.

It's so much easier for me to become wrapped up in reading than watching the television.

7. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

Yes, there is a television in my house. But I don't spend a lot of time watching the programmes in it. My kids are very interested in watching cartoons and other programmes. I love reading and gardening a lot. So don't get much time in watching television. Though I don't like to watch entertaining programmes I do find time to watch the news channels. Earlier my kids used to complaint about it. But now they have also started watching it. It provides them with a lot of knowledge. I also encourage them in watching quiz programmes.

It's great for the kids to be up on current affairs, as much of that can affect them.

8. gerrywalker profile image63
    gerrywalkerposted 10 years ago

I had the tv turned off a couple months ago after football season was over. Since I moved here for good last fall (Ft.PierceFL) I go to the library a couple times a week; everything is 5-10 minutes away unlike living in N.Ga (30 minutes to everything), so I get to exercise 3 or 4 days a week plus read and sell stuff on ebay, not to mention Daisy's morning routine (my bichy-poo)!  No time for t.v. and not interested really. There is a small tv in my bedroom with a slot in the side for movies which I use when anyone comes to visit for a night or two. The big t.v. which my son bought a few years ago I rescued from his house when he lost that. So come football season, I'll have it reconnected. I've been looking at those small antennaes but they don't get the main channels here in Ft.P so will probably do one of the "deals" in the fall for a few months if I can find one that suits my budget! Otherwise maybe I'll start haunting the sports bars, LOL.

I do admit that I really miss the Oklahoma State college football games!

9. CreatePerfection profile image72
    CreatePerfectionposted 10 years ago

We have a few televisions in our home.  During the winter months we watch more tv than in the summer months because it gets dark so early.  We have our favorite programs and watch these each week. 
    My favorite channel is the Science channel because they have a series about how the earth was made and another series on how the universe was made.  Both these programs are fascinating and they are on Demand because we have cable so we can watch them anytime. 
    I really make an attempt to stay away from violent and dark programs, but there is a lot of that on tv these days.  My favorite comedy is "The Big Bang Theory" and my favorite drama is "Elementary".  Public television also offers some great entertainment and the food network brings a new dimension into our culinary lives.
    Television is a way to escape for most people and I do some of that, too.  I find that its greatest use for me is mind expansion, though.  I love animal programs such as "Animal Planet" and have learned so much from the series as I have from the various series on the Science channel.

When I had access to TV, I also enjoyed the animal Planet.  I spend a lot of time with my photos now, but would like to read more.

10. lburmaster profile image74
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

The only TV is in the living room. When watching the TV, it's only with my husband so we both relax and have some time together. I might work out while watching a show, but a bike ride is more calming and helps me think.

Do you think that people can get wrapped up in the tv or computer just because they happen to be within easy reach?

2. lburmaster profile image74
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Computer, most definately. I spend hours on it when I have it. When it's not in reach, there are books, goals, plans, etc. It's more productive without electronics.

3. aviannovice profile image86

Yes.  I am only on here when I have to be.

11. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

Hi, we do have a TV which I usually watch from about 22.00 onwards. We have cable and also Lovefilm, so I rarely watch any programmes that are actually scheduled.  I never watch the news,ever!
    I work, study, read, run after little people and  I do spend a lot of time in the great outdoors. I must confess though, by 22.00, I am usually quite happy to watch some tv and lose myself in a fictional world.
    I like Grimm, Sons of Anarchy, Heroes and I also like some paranormal programmes. So all very imaginative stuff smile
    Good question.

Downtime does seem to be important in a busy time such as yours.  Thanks for answering!

12. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

I do have a television set in my home. I think it is a necessity these days. But while my family is in front of the television in the evening, I am always behind the television set because that's where my computer is. Yet, it doesn't mean that the television set is useless to me... I still hear what's on the television and if there's something very interesting, my wife will called me to go and watch.

But you basically multi-task while the television is in operation, you don't give it your full attention?

2. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aviannovice, I am glued to the computer. I hear the television program on and off, but not consciously... I have answered something like 20 questions already with the televison on... all I know is that there's a Chinese serial on at the moment.

13. Get Thin for Good profile image67
    Get Thin for Goodposted 10 years ago

We have a television but we do not use it as one. Instead, we only use it to watch movies of our choice - by way of DVD only.

I used to do that when I was in Maine and couldn't afford to keep cable TV.

14. tolstoytherapy profile image71
    tolstoytherapyposted 10 years ago

I rarely watch TV. When I'm at university I do not have one, and when I'm at home by brother is usually using it for Xbox. I do watch some catch-up TV online, but there always seems to be better things to do (or things I should be doing!)

That seems to be my own way of life, as well.  Seems like I can get so much more done without it, and if I really want to do so, I can see the headlines on line.

15. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 10 years ago

No TV in my house.  I haven't watch the 'boob tube' in 5 years now and I don't feel that I'm missing a thing.  I spend my time writing or reading a good book and of course walking my dogs now that it's Spring.

You and I are about on the same par.  I don't really miss it a lot, either.

16. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

We do have TV's, but I do not spend much time watching it. I probably only spend about 5% of my day watching it...if that.

Seems like a lot of people don't have time for it anymore.

17. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I have one television and only watch a good movie now and again not much into watching television I prefer my outdoor life

I agree with you there, as I have quite a bit of that.  Between that, photo cropping, and writing, I barely have time for down time.

18. HappyMikeWritter profile image60
    HappyMikeWritterposted 10 years ago

I have a TV at home but since internet exists with so many options I do not really watching tv. Watching tv makes you lazy, at least internet requires your cooperation :-)

You definitely have a point there.

2. Taleb80 profile image81
      Taleb80posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.

19. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 10 years ago

We used to have a nice big 46" flatscreen that we got a couple years ago.

Then my son got his new airsoft sniper rifle.

Then his friends came over.

Then they played Black Ops Zombies on the Playstation 3.

Then my son had a "great idea."

Then my son shot a zombie in the head with his new sniper rifle.

He thought it wasn't loaded.

He was wrong.

Now we have no 46" flatscreen TV anymore.

True story.

Pretty unusual, yet amusing and worrisome all at the same time.  Did you do a story on this?  If not, please.  I'm sure that it would attract a lot of attention.

2. profile image0
      chrisinhawaiiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.  It's pretty amusing.

20. khairat0 profile image57
    khairat0posted 10 years ago

i have one but i don't have time for it.

Same here.  Thanks for your input/

2. Taleb80 profile image81
      Taleb80posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is good news. You are the winner.

21. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

There is a television in our home but I don't use it a lot. My husband uses it more than me. I just like to watch the news now and again, also if there is a program that interest me but if not I will be hubbing instead or gardening. More fun.

Yes, you're right.  It is more fun.

22. rondmrn profile image79
    rondmrnposted 10 years ago

Yes, I have a television. I love television and the its history. I am young but through television, I heard the names of Johnny Carson, Dean Martin, Ed Sullivan, and so on. I see the shows "What's My Line?" and I saw Walt Disney, Sammy Davis Jr. on there.

I also love the re-runs of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and his new show, Parts Unknown. It's great when watching these kinds of shows. I do not have much time for live tv but we have the DVR!

I was also entertained when I was younger, watching shows like Seinfeld, Frasier, Becker, The Cosby Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, and other sitcoms as well.

By the way, are there any fans of Arrested Development here?

Glad to see that you checked out the old shows.  How do you rate the older stuff vs. the more recent shows?

2. rondmrn profile image79
      rondmrnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

aviannovice, I really can't compare since American culture have changed so much I guess. Television had to adapt to the changes. I notice that more shows are more free to comment on society and pop culture. That's okay too!

23. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 10 years ago

I have one, and enjoy watching documentaries, but not much else. I have BBCiplayer on my iPad, and sometimes connect that to the TV.

Well, you know me, I liked my bird and animal shows, and was introduced to some wonderful creatures that I would never had the hope of seeing, so I valued TV for that.

24. theryanpride profile image68
    theryanprideposted 10 years ago

We have a TV but no cable so we have basic channels so are TV is not on much.

If you had more channels, would you watch it more, do you think?

25. John Smith CB profile image62
    John Smith CBposted 10 years ago

With Internet and a laptop, I don't need a television I think. Most of my time in front of any gadget goes with my lappy.

Why have something extra if you don't need it?

2. John Smith CB profile image62
      John Smith CBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I really don't have a television. But, I guess I need it for watching matches on the big screen and some good action movies.

26. Monica Kay 215 profile image70
    Monica Kay 215posted 10 years ago

I have not owned a TV in more than a year. I decided to cut the cord for a couple of reasons. First, I felt it was killing my creativity. My ideas were rehashes of sitcoms, true crime shows and serial dramas.  It also seemed that sometimes TV functions as a method of mind control. People are taught what to think and how to feel by watching TV shows and by listening to talking heads on Fox News, MSNBC, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Few people have original, thought-out opinions.

You know, I think that most people FEAR having an opinion.

27. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 10 years ago

Yes. TV is in my home and it is part of entertainment with my family to watch nice movies together.

What kinds of movies do you tend to watch?  What do you think about older material?

2. edhan profile image38
      edhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We normally watch sc-fiction, adventure and romance sort of movies.

3. aviannovice profile image86

All popular movies.  Thanks!

28. Pamela-anne profile image80
    Pamela-anneposted 10 years ago

I do have a t.v. in my home but I am on my computer more than I watch t.v.; I guess I am a multi-tasker in that I have my t.v. on  while I am on my computer.  I listen more to the t.v. stories than actually watch them.  I am like one of those people that would gather around the radio to hear the story or play being broadcast over the radio before the t.v. was invented.  My t.v. is like my radio with visual as I use it to listen to music channels as well.

A lot of people that I know do that, just to have some background noise.

29. ladydeonne profile image69
    ladydeonneposted 10 years ago

We have (3) TV s in our home but only one is plugged in and has cable.  The ones in our bedrooms are never watched.  I am not a big fan of TV but like to watch The American Idol, The Voice, and America's Got Talent.   I am an avid football fan and watch football religiously during football season.  I also watch The Animal Planet and National Geographics from time to time.   I spend a great deal of my time on the computer as I write 2 blogs, do Hub Pages and am writing a book.  I prefer reading to watching TV.

You are one busy lady.  I loved Animal Planet when I watched TV, and learned a great deal from it.  Now, people tell me that I host my own with "Life at Boomer Lake with Deb" ever week.

30. Making-Jewellery profile image65
    Making-Jewelleryposted 10 years ago

I have my television on almost all day/night every day.  This is quite normal for single people, who live alone, as background noise, or "company".  I've probably not seen, or spoken, to an actual human being for 2-3 weeks as I only leave the house if I have to (e.g. essential food shopping).

I've moved to a new area and don't know anybody, so nobody comes round - and I have no job and am living off my savings, so I keep spending to a minimum. If you leave the house, it invariably means spending money on transport, parking - and the tat you pick up that you don't need smile

I don't have any other devices or ways of watching the television - and can't use it to watch programs online as I have a limited bandwidth Internet service.... that's nearly run out this month already.

I do find inspiration for what to write about on hubpages from various interesting news or programmes on the television, that spark of some research online.... and end up as a hub.

I have to give you credit for that--our motivation certainly comes from somewhere.  Enjoy your new home!

31. bydojo profile image60
    bydojoposted 10 years ago

We have 2 TVs. My mother-in-law is using one and sometimes we use the other one. I could live without them, since I like watching TV series on my computer and not the news or what's regularly on TV

Is it less expensive watching shows on the computer?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)