jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

What according to you is most difficult while making a movie based on a famous b

1. anusha15 profile image88
    anusha15posted 6 years ago

What according to you is most difficult while making a movie based on a famous book?

Many movies have been made which are based on stories of best sellers. Conversion of literature to cinema has its own challenges. What according to you is the most difficult part? Selecting the correct actors to resemble and portray already loved/hated characters? Or, writing an intriguing screenplay when there is almost no element of unknown? Or, something else entirely?

2. thebeast02 profile image84
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

I think the casting, along with adapting scenes where characters are "thinking" about something. It has to be hard to portray that in a movie, whereas in a book you could simply write it out.

3. mythicalstorm273 profile image79
    mythicalstorm273posted 6 years ago

I think it is staying true to the book.  When a book (like Harry Potter for example) is 700 pages long you cannot include everything into a movie.  Still you want to get the important things and the scenes that might be favorites in there while leaving behind your individual flair and making it your own.  To find that perfect balance is extremely difficult.  Most often when a movie comes out that is based off a book I hear people complain about how much it strayed from the book.  It might be difficult to get everything else correct, but if you want to please the audience staying true to the book is the most difficult part!

1. anusha15 profile image88
      anusha15posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Selected as best, coz I can completely relate with your answer. The example you've chosen (Harry Potter) is in fact the movie I had in mind when I asked this question smile

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Satisfying fans of the book who have very definite ideas about what the characters are like and what are essential parts of the book that need to be included.

5. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

I think relating onto a script the subtle emotions the characters feel in the book. Thoughts and feelings are typically more logically expressed in a literary work than through the motions and dialog an actor can provide. When a film does manage to succeed at bringing the unseen motives forward for viewing audiences then the director, script writers and actors have all done excellent jobs!

6. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I think it is keeping to the original story in a very short period of time, while trying to retain the important essence of the book. So I think the screenplay would be the hardest. There are many wonderful books that, for me, just did not translate well into film, basically because so much of the story had to be cut and so lost much of it's meaning and vitality.

7. DayaSPrasad profile image54
    DayaSPrasadposted 6 years ago

Finally I got an opportunity to become director of movie... ;-)
    For me difficult part is separating main story and background theme. Once I separate these then its tough what should be the new background theme and how to modify story as per new background theme... Once I complete with this then I think I'll be able to move ahead like character casting...
    As a music lover I need to discover some new and unique music as per movie theme and lot many things...

8. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

All that you have stated as being difficult is true. Finding good actors and writing a screenplay are likely a challenge, though I think the biggest is successfuly portraying the essence of the material on which the movie is based.

working