jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How much TV is enough TV for children to watch daily?

1. wellspoken profile image59
    wellspokenposted 6 years ago

How much TV is enough TV for children to watch daily?

How much TV do you let your children watch and why? Do you let them watch TV at all? Why or why not? If so what shows do you approve or disapprove and why?

2. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 6 years ago

Ideally, none. I don't have kids, but I've seen some really negative impacts of TV on little kids in my acquaintance. As a kid I was allowed 2 hours a day, but that was only in summer when there was "nothing else to do." During the school year there was hardly time for TV--maybe an hour of cartoons in the evening, if that. From what I've seen, TV is a passive activity for kids that doesn't require them to learn to focus on anything--because they don't have to interact with it. In addition, kids whose TV-watching choices aren't well monitored can learn obscene language, be exposed to unnecessary violence, and "adult" themes that they have no need for. Forgive me for my soapbox; but in my opinion, it's much better to get kids reading or doing something creative (Play-Doh, coloring, finger paints, helping make cookies) than to plop them in front of the TV and let it do the babysitting.

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Ideally, very little. I agree that many people use the TV as a babysitter, and that's extremely detrimental to kids in the long-term. My son gets to watch about an hour a day...that is, after dinner he gets to watch a movie while he's winding down for bed. When it's about time to go to sleep, I don't want him doing anything active or that engages his brain, because I don't want him wired all night instead of sleeping. By the time his movie is over, it's time to tuck him in, read him a book, and kiss him goodnight. During the day, he spends most of his time working in the yard or around the house with my husband -- he'll be 6 in December, and must be kept busy if he's to stay out of trouble smile. My daughter is too young for TV yet (10 months) but we intend to have the exact same rules for her.

4. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

we used to get 30mins of tv a day ... used to watch cartoons in the evenings ... used to play outside the rest of the time. used to watch movies with family about once a week or in two weeks but that's about it.

5. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 6 years ago

My kids don't really want to watch TV very much. They would rather do other things. Time watching can vary from about 0 mins to an hour per day of mostly educational shows.