jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you decide which news service to listen to?

1. leroy64 profile image84
    leroy64posted 6 years ago

How do you decide which news service to listen to?

Is it the ones that agree with you?  Is it the one that challenges you? 

I have given up on finding objective viewpoints, especially about politics.  Of course, I found out that party control of various news outlets has been happening since the beginning of the US.   (I read several books that agreed on that point, even citing examples of publications created for propaganda purposes. Whigs, Democrats, Federalists and Republicans are all guilty.)   I assume something similar happens in other countries.

2. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

I totally agree with the issue about wanting to read in an unbiased way.  I actually go to Google news, and read the same topic several times by different newspapers or news services. This is only for stuff I'm actually interested in or need more info about, of course.  If I see something about the latest celebrity gossip, I won't bother reading it several times, let alone once! 

Even reading from several different angles is no *guarantee* that it will be unbiased.  But it is a step in the better direction than getting my news from one source alone.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I live in America, so the best source for me is usually a foreign station like BBC. The only American "news" I will watch is the Daily Show or the Colbert Report. What a sad state of affairs it is when politicians are laughed at and comedians are taken seriously. Anything put out by Fox, CNN, NBC, etc is pure propoganda. But I can't blame journalists for wanting to keep their jobs behind the new Iron Curtain.

4. profile image0
    Charlene Marianoposted 6 years ago

I think the more awards a news network boast, the more credible and accountable it is. I have been sticking to this for awhile and it has not failed me yet. News shapen our views. So we better watch what we are watching.

working