How can we encourage children or teenagers to listen to different genres of musi

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)
  1. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

How can we encourage children or teenagers to listen to different genres of music?

What are some ways for parents to encourage their children or teenagers to listen to music from a wide variety of genres - such as rock, classical, jazz and world  - instead of only listening to music from one genre?

2. profile image0
    johnnymnemonicposted 12 years ago

I'd say a little mental manipulation might work quite well, like passive smoking, though that's a negative thing. When I was very little, dad brought a 60-min cassette filled with the most reknowned classical pieces and the instrumental version of the Phantom of the Opera's introduction. Since then, I am quite fond of classical music though I won't listen to it everyday, and Phantom has become my favorite song, so much so that I'm actually prepping for part-time conservatory. Point is any idea placed early in one's subconscious becomes extremely powerful later on.

3. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

I would say play all those types of music around them everyday.

Ban the use of the iPod or MP3 player with all their favorites on for an hour or two in the home.

I have picked up lots of likes in music just by having it as background.  Then after hearing it as noise I started to listen. Now I have a much wider range of musical likes than I did as a teenager.

Don't force one of your favorites on them however, that may backfire. Use gentle persuassion. Ask questions, point out similarities between their favorites, maybe they enjoy a modern cover of an older classic, encourage them to compare the two. What changed between the original and cover, what was kept the same.
    The key would make the discovery fun. Young people are meant to have different tastes to the older generations, that is progress. But sometimes the old folks got it right too. smile

4. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

Play it from the time they are little and they will listen. My three have a wide range of music likes. They listen to music from classical to rap. I think opera is the only one they don't listen to and that is probably because they do not understand it. I didn't either.

5. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

How to expose children and teens to different genres of music without pulling the old radio trick. read more

6. wearing well profile image74
    wearing wellposted 12 years ago

When I'm on the school run,I often change the channel so that my kids experience a wide range of musical genres.I will only change it back to the local radio station if I cannot stand what we are listening to !
    If we are listening to classical music,I'll ask the kids if they know what instruments are being played for the main melody or what percussion pieces are being used and whether they think the music is happy or sad and what sort of story it might be telling.It depends on the age of the children I know,but it can make for a fun game to play on a journey in the car and also enhance their knowledge of music   at the same time smile

7. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

It starts when your child is extremely young. Let them choose and only advise them. Have them explain why they like each type of music. Which one fits their personality more? What is admirable about the music? Which is true? Which is more fun? It's not all about society.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

You can play classical music during dinner or other times when they are with the family.  When you drive in the car you can have some of your favorite music on.  They will learn to love what they are exposed to in a positive setting.

I grew up loving big band music and Dean Martin because my mom loved them.  My kids love that music now as well, along with a lot of other kind of music.

9. Shadowblack profile image60
    Shadowblackposted 12 years ago

Take their televisions away from them. They're constantly being bombarded with music the corporations want them to buy. Take away the forced marketing and encourage them to listen to independent, non commercial  radio stations. A brief music history lesson would also be a big help. Explain where the roots of the music they're currently listening to came from and encourage them to explore the music of the past.

10. shadowspyro99 profile image60
    shadowspyro99posted 12 years ago

well, the reason why so many teens and children probably listen to one is because that one genre express's them-self completely you could use mental brainwash not a bad idea, but that would take away there right in the world, if you will just ask the teen about them and try to learn more about the teen, and that should help you figure out what style of music that they life, most teens sometimes like hard rock metal because it express's there anger. if you found one that helps express there emotions then you got the music in there hands. Not only that but if you do one thing that some adults do such as saying this is the song that I like to listen to when I was young, or tell them that one genre is good why not two? Plus my favorite, why not try something different life is too short to just listen to one genre. Or you can just play different genre in your house, or if its in a classroom you can make them listen to it for homework there is multiple way but I hope this helps.

11. buckleupdorothy profile image69
    buckleupdorothyposted 12 years ago

By doing so yourself, naturally!

My parents both greatly influenced my musical tastes, and to this day whenever I visit them I play certain albums which seemed to be more or less the soundtrack of my childhood. Certain music means Sunday morning, and some has remained the best ever cooking music...

12. John Sarkis profile image81
    John Sarkisposted 12 years ago

Reading...reading...reading.  One of the first things that attracted me to classical music, was reading about the compositions in of themselves in a 'music appreciation book' that was available to us in high school.  I'd read about Mendelssohn, Weber, Chopin. and the meaning and reason behind their works.  Of course, it's a bit different in popular music---meaning behind a song could be some hot looking girl/guy that inspired the poem/song in the first place...LOL 

Take care!

13. ladeda profile image59
    ladedaposted 12 years ago

I think learning how to play a musical instrument creates a new appreciation for music itself. I believe my love of playing piano is responsible for my interest in all different kinds of music genres.

14. rave1432 profile image59
    rave1432posted 12 years ago

Honestly, the person has to want to listen to what is out there. When your driving somewhere, put in a cd or put something on the radio and have to where they can hear it. I listen to about everything and I enjoy just about everything, but that is because I had an open mind as a teen.

15. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

Introduce them to Bill Nye the Science Guy. You'll knock off two birds with one stone that way. He uses parodies of different musical styles to teach science subjects. That will get them interested in both, then you can find the original recordings of some of the songs he's parodied and talk to your kids about the styles.

http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/Water-Themes-in-Music

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)