jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why is explicit violence allowed on most American television networks but not nu

1. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

Why is explicit violence allowed on most American television networks but not nudity?

I just watched a movie on SyFy that contained scenes of explicit violence and graphic mutilation. However, in a scene where a bare butt was supposed to be seen, the network watchdogs blurred it out. I am curious -as I often have been- why most American TV networks execs are comfortable with the explicit violence and graphic mutilation but get their panties in a bunch over a shot of ordinary bare flesh?

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image91
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 6 years ago

Because, while we're a very aggressive and war-loving culture, we're very uptight and easily shamed when it comes to our own bodies. Anything having to do with aggression is acceptable, because killing the enemy is not sin. However, allowing the natural body to show is a filthy, sinful thing and should be avoided at all costs. Part of our twisted, Puritan heritage. I'd love it if we were just the opposite.

3. urgurl_bri profile image82
    urgurl_briposted 6 years ago

A lot of violence can be seen even on the news, so I guess people are used to seeing it there and in movies and on tv as well.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

What country in the two American continents and off shore islands are you refering to?

5. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Maybe the church groups and other organizations protest more with nudity. A friend says they were shocked the other night when they saw a commercial with a bunch of naked people running to something. The glutimas maximus cracks were blurred over though. Beth do you remember back when groups would picket skin movies but never graphic violence and such.

6. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 6 years ago

American TV networks' policies that allow displays of explicit violence while prohibiting displays of nudity are a product of the attitudes, customs and practices that were passed down by the nation's founders.

Among the founders -- many of whom were puritans -- such violence as killing Indians, capturing and enslaving black Africans and wiping out animal populations were all quite acceptable.

On the other hand, however, they tended to believe that such things as women exposing their ankles in public and going outdoors with their heads being uncovered were taboo.

7. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

MickS, I live in the continental United States.

working