jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Who is the better composer, Beethoven or Mozart, and why?

1. healingsword profile image80
    healingswordposted 6 years ago

Who is the better composer, Beethoven or Mozart, and why?

2. MaestroECMcCloud profile image78
    MaestroECMcCloudposted 6 years ago

I think they are about equal. Certain things have to be taken into consideration. Mozart was a child prodigy, composing his first pieces at around the age of four. Mozart was also very prolific. It is amazing what he achieved before dying at the age of 35.
    Beethoven, on the other hand, continued to compose after going deaf. This I find amazing in itself. Beethoven was also the one who set the standard for the musical form known as a symphony. His ninth symphony is one of the most performed in the history of the genre.
    Both composers have to be considered on their own merits. I am more familiar with Beethoven's music, but what I've heard of Mozart I love also. So I would say it is purely a matter of personal taste.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I like Beethoven's music better but I can't really say he is better than Mozart.  I like the intensity of Beethoven's music.

4. wayseeker profile image92
    wayseekerposted 6 years ago

The answer to this question depends entirely on what perspective you take.  What exactly is meant by "better"?  As MaestroECMcCloud stated, Mozart was a child prodigy and arguably among the most naturally gifted musicians of all time.  He was renowned for his ability to hear things in his head and compose brilliant works almost "off the cuff."  In this regard, I expect he had Beethoven beat.

That said, Beethoven's music was arguably more innovative than that of Mozart.  Like Bach, Mozart was an absolute master of his genre and stretched it out to places no one else could manage.  Beethoven's music, however, particularly towards the end of his life, became something entirely new that influenced generations of composers to follow him--even through today.  Where Mozart's music was about the amazing agility and wit of his reason, Beethoven's music was about the depth and power of his passion.  Few have equaled him in this.

From a personal perspective, I like them both, but I will always land in favor of Beethoven.  I love the dark and brooding...this was his bread and butter.

Thanks for the question!

5. ThomasBaker profile image60
    ThomasBakerposted 6 years ago

I play classical piano. I have always found Mozart more difficult from the standpoint that you cannot "mess around" with it. You have to be precise. As far as listening to music of the Classical Era, I much prefer Hayden.
    Beethoven, on the other hand, has some room to manuver. He is less mechanical than Mozart. His symphonies provide a much greater range of emotion than those of Mozart.
    The only thing that was better of Mozart compared to Beethoven was his hair style.

6. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I don't think you'll ever get agreement on what, in a composer, constitutes "better."

Beethoven's innovation, vision and intensity are of legendary proportions.

Mozart's imagination, sense of design and proportion, and (where applicable!) profundity are unparalleled.

I've probably been more influenced by Beethoven, but Mozart seems more completely human as an artist--Beethoven's inner (and frequently outer!) conflicts prevent him from accepting and realizing himself completely.  (Though that's probably also what powers his volcanic outbursts, too.)

7. profile image56
    ArtandCulture22posted 2 years ago

Beethoven was the greatest composer. Mozart was very talented in music and could play the piano very good he was an amazing composer but he didn't write his music with feelings. Beethoven was a genius he too was very talented but he was putting more work and effort into his music not to mention that he could barely hear his ninth symphony wich is now one of the greatest masterpieces in music. Beethoven wrote his music with passion and with things that have occurred in his life. His life was very difficult and sad music was the only thing he could turn to. He didn't only write music he felt it. Music was living in his heart. He is part of it and music was part of him.

1. Doc Snow profile image96
      Doc Snowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

To say that Mozart didn't write with feeling is--well, out of line with overwhelming majority of listeners over the past two centuries.  Listen to the "Dies Irae", the opening of the Dissonance Quartet, and "La ci darem la mano" and get back to me!