Why is it that American TV networks vitually always remake UK shows for a US aud

1. Rik Ravado profile image90
    Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago

Why is it that American TV networks vitually always remake UK shows for a US audience?

In the UK, however, the British are content to watch US shows in their original format.  Sometimes, the only way UK actors can star in US shows is to play an American.  A good example of this is Hugh Laurie in 'House'.   

2. Lauryallan profile image79
    Lauryallanposted 5 years ago

I think the accent is a major factor. It's far easier for Brits to understand American TV voices than it is for American's to understand British accents. I really struggle to see an American understanding some of our British slang and some UK accents are really hard to understand.

I have an American friend who looks at me with a puzzled expression on their face anytime someone on the TV speaks in a broad Scottish accent, any type of Welsh accent and some of the London accents are really rough.

Also I think it's something to do with the sheer size of the USA where the number of potential viewers means it's financially viable to reshoot the show. Since the UK is far smaller than the USA, then it's more financially sound to just sell them the US version, rather than reshoot the whole thing.

3. skinsman82000 profile image86
    skinsman82000posted 5 years ago

I think it's the same reason television/Hollywood would rather remake something they know they have a built in audience for.  If they take a show that already works somewhere else, all they have to do is tweak it for American audiences rather than having to come up with a truly original idea.

Just like everything in show business, ha...laziness and profit rule.