What breaking news events pop into your head from the 1980's till now?
and how did this or these events effect you?
The lunatic who shot John Lennon. The event didn't have any effect on my life
1. Nashville flood, 2010 -- I did my college internship in Nashville, I have a lot of friends in Nashville, and most significantly, I *ALMOST* was in Nashville that weekend. I watched the video online of school houses picked up by flood waters and floated down I-40 until it hit a semi when it disintegrated and I forgot about eating for a couple of days because I was so worried about friends. Unlike the others, this was very personal.
2. 9/11/01 -- I can't remember much about the day before but I can tell you ever detail of that day, beginning with when my co-worker came in and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.
2. Oklahoma City bombing, 1995 -- I was in college and I called home to tell my mom that I'd be late. She said a bomb went off in a building, and I thought she meant something like the Unibomber's little blow-up-the-trash-can bombs. When I finally got home and saw the destruction my heart fell into my stomach.
3. The Challenger explosion in 1986 -- that was the first space disaster the U.S. had suffered since Apollo 1 (which I also remember). I remember President Reagan's wonderful speech that night and how I just felt numb all day long.
4. Princess Diana's death, 1997 -- not that I was into following her every move or anything, but the thing that outraged me was the fact that we had THREE 24-hour news channels on cable and not a single one of them could interrupt reruns to cover the news story because it was Saturday night on Labor Day weekend. (This later repeated itself when Chief Justice William Rhenquist died on Labor Day weekend.)
5. Lennon's murder, 1980 -- I never cared for John Lennon's music or his attitude but as someone said on the "Behind the Music" on Lennon's death, NO child should EVER have to walk over a pool of their father's blood to get into their house.
The death of Princess Di - it affected me in that it annoyed me that Mother Theresa's death wasn't as newsworthy as Princess Di's.
The disappearance of Kyron Horman. It affected me because it happened about twenty minutes for us, and I know people who know the family. Not to mention the selfish fear for my own children. Not to mention that the school seriously got paranoid after he disappeared.
by Ryan Hupfer 8 years ago
Ok, so maybe Paul Deeds didn't really fire me because of Frank using his book bag as a bathroom one too many times, but it is in fact true that I'm going to be leaving HubPages for another job here in the Bay Area. Believe me, it wasn't a very easy decision for me to make and...
by earnestshub 7 years ago
Hot of the news! Jesus christ and Mary Magdalene are living in Kingaroy with 30 followers who make donations to sustain them.I am unable to confirm any miracles at this time, but will report back when I get more news.Source:BBC radio.More to come!
by Bicky 6 years ago
Breaking news:- Scientist discovered that god exist, how you will react??Suppose tomorrow you read a breaking news..Scientist discovered that there’s some supernatural entity, or God exist, Now tell me what will be your first reaction?
by onegoodwoman 7 years ago
Breaking news...........moments ago.........Osama Bin Landen has been killed,his body has been in US custody for several days..........What were your First thoughts, reactions to this news?
by Chris Andrews 3 months ago
Hello,I wanted to stop in and make an introduction. I'm Chris and learning, helping, and making things are all enjoyable to me. I would love to see some more HubChallenges being announced by people. I will have a challenge posted in the next day or two as I solidify my thoughts on...
by blue dog 8 years ago
according to the barackstar, "new attacks are being plotted as" he speaks. sounding more and more like bush every day. opinions on tonite's speech?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|