What breaking news events pop into your head from the 1980's till now?
and how did this or these events effect you?
The lunatic who shot John Lennon. The event didn't have any effect on my life
1. Nashville flood, 2010 -- I did my college internship in Nashville, I have a lot of friends in Nashville, and most significantly, I *ALMOST* was in Nashville that weekend. I watched the video online of school houses picked up by flood waters and floated down I-40 until it hit a semi when it disintegrated and I forgot about eating for a couple of days because I was so worried about friends. Unlike the others, this was very personal.
2. 9/11/01 -- I can't remember much about the day before but I can tell you ever detail of that day, beginning with when my co-worker came in and said a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.
2. Oklahoma City bombing, 1995 -- I was in college and I called home to tell my mom that I'd be late. She said a bomb went off in a building, and I thought she meant something like the Unibomber's little blow-up-the-trash-can bombs. When I finally got home and saw the destruction my heart fell into my stomach.
3. The Challenger explosion in 1986 -- that was the first space disaster the U.S. had suffered since Apollo 1 (which I also remember). I remember President Reagan's wonderful speech that night and how I just felt numb all day long.
4. Princess Diana's death, 1997 -- not that I was into following her every move or anything, but the thing that outraged me was the fact that we had THREE 24-hour news channels on cable and not a single one of them could interrupt reruns to cover the news story because it was Saturday night on Labor Day weekend. (This later repeated itself when Chief Justice William Rhenquist died on Labor Day weekend.)
5. Lennon's murder, 1980 -- I never cared for John Lennon's music or his attitude but as someone said on the "Behind the Music" on Lennon's death, NO child should EVER have to walk over a pool of their father's blood to get into their house.
The death of Princess Di - it affected me in that it annoyed me that Mother Theresa's death wasn't as newsworthy as Princess Di's.
The disappearance of Kyron Horman. It affected me because it happened about twenty minutes for us, and I know people who know the family. Not to mention the selfish fear for my own children. Not to mention that the school seriously got paranoid after he disappeared.
by Ryan Hupfer8 years ago
Ok, so maybe Paul Deeds didn't really fire me because of Frank using his book bag as a bathroom one too many times, but it is in fact true that I'm going to be leaving HubPages for another job here in the Bay Area....
by earnestshub6 years ago
Hot of the news! Jesus christ and Mary Magdalene are living in Kingaroy with 30 followers who make donations to sustain them.I am unable to confirm any miracles at this time, but will report back when I get more...
by Bernard J. Toulgoat21 months ago
Why has John Lennon's song "Imagine" become controversial over the years?This is quite possibly one of the most peace enticing song ever written. So, please, enlighten me, what could possibly be wrong with it ?
by onegoodwoman6 years ago
Breaking news...........moments ago.........Osama Bin Landen has been killed,his body has been in US custody for several days..........What were your First thoughts, reactions to this news?
by Bicky5 years ago
Breaking news:- Scientist discovered that god exist, how you will react??Suppose tomorrow you read a breaking news..Scientist discovered that there’s some supernatural entity, or God exist, Now tell me what will be...
by Susan Reid7 years ago
October 9, 2010 would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday. Hard to believe he's been gone for 30 years this December.Please share your favorite John Lennon song, quote, action, memory, photo, -- whatever you would...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.