jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (15 posts)

Most beautiful female singing voice in the history of recorded music?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Most beautiful female singing voice in the history of recorded music?

Me, I'm always going to say "Karen Carpenter" as my answer.

No apologies either, thanks.

Who do YOU think is the female with the most beautiful voice in the history or recorded music?

2. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

the 50's/60's had Patsy Cline.....70's had Karen Carpenter and I will agree she had a beautiful voice........more recently, I'd have to go with Whitney....and sadly, all 3 of these great talents had much too early, tragic deaths.  The one living female vocalist I like quite a bit is Celine Dion......I also like Mariah Carie....and Kelly Clarkson.   Is this too many?   Too bad.  I'm not good at making one choice from a menu!........In history???   You could have narrowed it down, Mr. Shaw.

3. KF Raizor profile image61
    KF Raizorposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on the genre.  Karen Carpenter's voice was spectacular, but I don't think she could have tackled the blues.

My vote would go to new Country Music Hall of Fame inductee Connie Smith.  As Dolly Parton once said, "There are really only three women singers in the world:  Barbra Streisand, Linda Ronstadt, and Connie Smith.  The rest of us are only pretending."

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Judie Tzuke.

5. NayNay2124 profile image74
    NayNay2124posted 5 years ago

I would have to say Minnie Riperton. I also am big fan of Karen Carpenter.

6. phdast7 profile image83
    phdast7posted 5 years ago

Great Question.   And all the answers so far represent excellent "voices", but the answer does depend on genre and time period.   I know nothing about "Eastern or African or even South American" singers,  so within Western music (Europe and America) in the non-classical category, I would have to say ADELE.   She is still very young, has quite a range and terrific emotional timber - hopefully a long career ahead of her, and swept the Grammys this year.   Check her out on YouTube if you aren't familiar with her work.  smile

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Karen Carpenter did have a beautiful voice.  I would say the most beautiful voice I have ever heard is the woman who sings the music from Disney's Little Mermaid.  I think her name is Jodi Benson - not sure though.  What a voice.

8. flashmakeit profile image71
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I think Rihanna or else Barbra Streisand

9. Hady Chahine profile image60
    Hady Chahineposted 5 years ago

Celine Dion and Whitney Houston are amazing talents with beautiful voices.  For sexy/beautiful I have to go with Toni Braxton and Norah Jones.  And one of my favorites is Charlotte Church singing The Prayer with Josh Groban.  See link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckH3V_xOCnQ

10. profile image0
    Hubert Williamsposted 5 years ago

Charice Pempengco without a doubt. My favorites used to be Patsy Cline, Celine and Whitney, until I heard Charice. If you don't know who she is Google her name and check YouTube.

11. EuroCafeAuLait profile image84
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 5 years ago

Not exactly most beautiful, but for me, most impressive female voice has to be Amy Winehouse.  Like some of the others mentioned here, she died too young as well - why do we lose our songbirds so early?  I also have to give a shout out for Astrid Gilberto, 1960s era Brazilian singer who sings The Girl From Ipanema.  No apologies from me, either.

12. justom profile image69
    justomposted 5 years ago

Nanci Griffith, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Janis, Joan Baez, Lucinda Williams and on and on. It's all just opinion anyway. Adele is mediocre at best and her days are numbered. Karen Carpenter (shaking my head) I think you should apologize for that one :-/

13. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 5 years ago

Sarah Brightman by far the first of all - Barbra Streisand - Judy Garland - Karen Carpenter - Susan Boyle and others.

14. Jools99 profile image91
    Jools99posted 5 years ago

Elizabeth Fraser, formerly of the Cocteau Twins,

Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance)

K.D. Lange,

Karen Carpenter,

Kelly Clarkson,

Edith Piaf,

Maria Callas.

Elizabeth Fraser is my favourite but I like all of the above.

15. vparker profile image59
    vparkerposted 5 years ago

I love listening to Shirley Bassey, wish I could sing with that much power (maybe someday soon).