jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to hone your guitar playing skills, besides practice alone.

1. Corwinblade profile image67
    Corwinbladeposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to hone your guitar playing skills, besides practice alone.

I can't seem to make my fingers do what my mind wants. I have been playing since I was twelve, so I know all of the instruction, rules, scales, mostly all theory. Im just looking to see if anyone knows that thing that makes everything click, like an AH HA! moment.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6745067_f260.jpg

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

There are different techniques used by guitar players across many music genres. My own sons will use youtube to find them and also watch the 'techniques' that are used. One son is awesome with arpeggios and riffs while my other son is fantastic with the classical guitar. They watch, learn, listen and then apply by practicing smile

3. Kosmo profile image99
    Kosmoposted 5 years ago

The best way to get better is to play with other musicians. Either play actual tunes with them or just jam, and alternate between playing rhythm or lead. Soon you could even form a band if you want. Later!

4. cryptid profile image98
    cryptidposted 5 years ago

The time-honored way is to play along with CDs.  Okay, really the time honored way was to play along with records.  Then it was tapes.  Now CDs.  Load up your favorite music, learn it by ear, and play it.  Over and over.  Until your fingers are raw and it's 5 in the morning and the birds are waking up. 

It's all too easy today to go to a tab site and pick up somebody's interpretation of how to play the song, but it's far better for your ear and your technique to figure the song out for yourself, note for note. This is how all the greats did it.  And even us not-so-greats.

Jamming with other musicians helps a lot too, as long as they are competent.  Try to play with people who are above your level so they force you to improve, rather than less experienced players who will slow you down. 

Good luck!

working