jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Who is your favorite living director?

1. Radikum profile image60
    Radikumposted 5 years ago

Who is your favorite living director?

And your favorite film they worked on.

2. vturp90 profile image60
    vturp90posted 5 years ago

Frank Darabont - "The Shawshank Redemption"

Radikumposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Amazing film! It is baffling that this was his feature film debut, and it is highly regarded as one of the greatest films ever made. Now that's making an impression.

3. MickeySr profile image81
    MickeySrposted 5 years ago

Martin Scorsese is of course brilliant - "Taxi Driver" is an American masterpiece, "King Of Comedy" is a favorite, and I really loved his "Hugo".

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" is easily in my top 10, perhaps top 5, and I love his "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen"

But, I might name Walter Hill as my favorite living director. An auteur in a very compelling manner. His 1st film, "Hard Times" is stunningly good for a first time director and for the general theme . . . the very opening scene with Charles Bronson viewing the next town he's going to give a try as it passes before and he jumps from the boxcar is haunting, and you don't even know his story yet. He's the only filmmaker I know of who's done a film on American Blues music, "Crossroads", and has really gotten it right. And 'The Warriors" is a contemporary classic - suspense and action at a perfect pace, otherworldly New York city street gangs trying to kill each other, and yet, it's beautiful to look at.

You sir, have definitely included an eclectic bunch in your statement. Scorsese and Hill are amazing! Both of them have been chameleon like with their films. Gilliam's films are great, and Brazil is easily in my top ten favorite satire's.

4. profile image0
    Jhudahposted 5 years ago

Tim Burton...  Charlie And the Chocolate Factory

I really like Tim Burton and his films; however, his recent films have been missing that Burton feel. I haven't seen Dark Shadows, but I'm looking forward to Frankenweenie.

5. ishwaryaa22 profile image90
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

James Cameron - his films are both well-made and entertaining. My all-time favorite film is Titanic which is directed by this intelligent Oscar winning director. I also enjoyed watching his other films such as The Terminator 2, True Lies, Alien 2 and Avatar.

6. Maria-Arg profile image79
    Maria-Argposted 5 years ago

I have a lot of respect for Christopher Nolan. Everyone knows him for the Batman movies and Inception, which are great movies. But he's also done Momento, Insomnia, The Prestige and Following. His movies are intriguing, intelligent, and dark. I hope to see more of him in the next several years.

Nolan is great! Definitely one of the best working right now.

7. SAQIB6608 profile image74
    SAQIB6608posted 19 months ago

Clint Eastwood.
    Undoubtedly the best, his movies were the best as actor including the Good the bad and the ugly *(In IMDB TOP250 since long)
    And his directed movies have already achieved acclaim

working