jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is a good movie to watch when you need total escapism?

1. Bedbugabscond profile image98
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

What is a good movie to watch when you need total escapism?

Preferably on Netflix. Nothing depressing. Something to help a person wind down after a stressful day.

2. BernietheMovieGuy profile image73
    BernietheMovieGuyposted 5 years ago

It all depends on your taste and mood.  I personally view The Princess Bride or the original Airplane when I need some mirth.  If I'm more in an action/adventure mood, I pop in any Lethal Weapon/Die Hard or '80's Schwarzenegger movie to get me in a good mood.  If I need a drama, try anything featuring Meryl Streep.  Or, for something fluffier, there's always We Bought a Zoo featuring Matt Damon (see my review on this site for more info).  Or you could just sink yourself into any Lord of the Rings installment to numb your mind for three hours, give or take.

3. emopeach profile image60
    emopeachposted 5 years ago

Never Ending Story. Great plot, amazing scenery and also some great metaphors about life.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I just watched the 1992 Romantic Comedy "Housesitter" starring Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin. I just thought it was hilarious.

5. Luna B. profile image95
    Luna B.posted 5 years ago

As the last three Hubbers suggested, "Princess Bride", "Never-Ending Story" & "Housesitter" are both very good choices. Another one I would recommend is "Penelope". It's a little known modern-day fairy-tale w/ Christina Ricci & James McAvoy. And to give you some more options: "You've Got Mail" & "French Kiss" are two very funny & well-done romantic comedies w/ Meg Ryan that always put me in a good mood; classic Disney films like "Sleeping Beauty" or "Lady & the Tramp" are always good for winding down; and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" is a fun ride. As for classic movies, "Singin' in the Rain" and "Meet Me in St. Louis" are two truly great musical-comedies that are guaranteed to put you in a good mood.
    So, I hope I've given you a good variety to choose from and I'm sure at least one of these movies will work for ya! smile

6. Nancy B. profile image71
    Nancy B.posted 5 years ago

I don't know if these are on NetFlix but my recommendations are
    Labyrinth with Davie Bowie
    The Thin Man with Myrna Loy & William Powell (any of the series)
    El Dorado with The Duke & James Caan
    The Usual Suspects
    Alien & Aliens (just the first two, the third can make you think and the last was abysmal)
    Sherlock Holmes (I prefer the BBC series with Jeremy Brett)
    Or try some comedy shows - I like Jeff Dunham (but not the TV show he did, that was not as good as the comedy specials)

Good luck with the destressing.