jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What decade has/had the best music (and why)?

1. KeithJK profile image61
    KeithJKposted 5 years ago

What decade has/had the best music (and why)?

2. Cristale profile image86
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

I would have to say the 80's to prepare the way for how music is today. For example, look at all of the boys MJ inspired like Justin Timberlake and Usher. We all know that "Thriller" rocked! Even Metallica is still around...

3. mrpudgy profile image85
    mrpudgyposted 5 years ago

My personal choice on this question would be the time period between 120 AD and 1400 AD. It was an original time period for music and I just love the classic instruments like the bagpipes, smallpipes, war drums, and all that stuff. I prefer that time period and in the British Isles. Good stuff personally.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

It has to be the 60s. Bob Dylan (can't sing but he sure can write), Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver (was a member of the Chad Mitchell Trio) Judy Collins,
    Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Lovin's Spoonful, Mammas and Pappas, Carley Simon, Elton John, and the list goes on and on. Some of these became more popular in the 70s but they started in the 60s.

The reason this decade was so important is that because of the issues surrounding the Vietnam War, Civil Rights and other issues, the music began to talked more about the Saturday Night Dance or Leader of the Pack. These songs carried incredible messages that are still relevant today.

5. Suzie HQ profile image95
    Suzie HQposted 5 years ago

For me the 1950's predominantly because of 2 giants . . .
    Elvis and The Beatles, who both technically began in this era, but really took off in the 60's.

6. Ann1Az2 profile image69
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

I like the 50s. My sister was 10 years old than I am. When I was 6, she was 16, so she was a teen in the 50s, but she played all of that music and so I grew up loving it, too. We both loved Elvis, the Everly Brothers, and Ricky Nelson.

I remember my mother saying she had to go through Elvis with both of us, and then the Beatles with me. By the time the 60s rolled around, my sister had gone off to college, so I was on my own for music.

I love 50s music because it brings up all those great memories I have of my sister.

7. annart profile image85
    annartposted 5 years ago

The 60s, though the 50s (not that I knew much then!) and the 70s were good.  I think it's because styles of music were still changing, everything was new and so different from anything before it and, of course, because of The Fab Four - nothing to beat them!

working