jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think the history channel is all about history?

1. hockey8mn profile image74
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

Do you think the history channel is all about history?

Is the history channel the right name based on the shows it airs?  If not, what should it be and why?

2. KevinTimothy profile image82
    KevinTimothyposted 5 years ago

I think they do their best when trying to appeal to the masses. It's not thoroughly history but we've all seen other networks do it. MTV, for starters.

1. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, I would argue that the masses would like to watch quality programming about history. The trouble is, true history makes the masses bitter and will ultimately defeat the purpose of a network putting the shows on in the first place: advertising.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Well wonderful question and props to you for bringing this to everyone's attention. Based on its programming line up, it should be called, "The Crappy Jobs & Pseudo Science Channel". I see nothing on there but shows about pawn shop owners, loggers, crab fishermen, alligator-hunting Cajuns, truckers, gold miners, paranormal investigators, and UFO sightings. Where exactly is the history? Once in a blue moon, there will be some show about a "virtuous" war we had or some heavily-biased patriotic documentary. The one useful show they put on there was a science program about the universe, but even that had nothing to do with history. The de jure name of the Channel is "History". The de facto name is "What We (GE and Disney) Want You Idiots to Focus your Minds on Right Now". That's my opinion.

1. hockey8mn profile image74
      hockey8mnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I possed this question because of your response to the ancient aliens question.  As an anthropologist and archaeologist, shows like that offend me and aren't history but science fiction.  As sad as it is, the most historical show is pawn stars.

2. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In that case, I'm embarassed for giving the same answer twice. My minor was in anthropology, but I crapped out before going further than a BA. I'll check out your essays on Hubpages. Thanks.

3. hockey8mn profile image74
      hockey8mnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perfectly fine.  I couldn't agree more with you.  The histrory channel hasn't been the history channel for a while.  In my opinion, it should be called syfy 2.

working