Does TV dull the mind?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)
  1. cclitgirl profile image92
    cclitgirlposted 12 years ago

Does TV dull the mind?

2. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

I would say it depends on what you watch. I watch History channel, Discovery, and that sort of thing. Then I watch Jerry Springer. LOL

3. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I agree with thejeffriestube. It largely depends on what you're actually watching. If you watch educational shows I would think that it would achieve the very opposite of dulling the mind. Of course though, there's a lot of trash TV out there, and as such it's very easy to watch endless hours of television and learn nothing at all.

4. Grime Remix profile image60
    Grime Remixposted 12 years ago

Not sure it dulls the mind but it definitely will hinder the ability to accomplish things in life if too much time is spent simply watching TV.  Even if it's educational just watching results in nothing.

5. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 12 years ago

No, it tutrns it jelly.   However, there are some interesting, educational programmes on the telly.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I think it can depending on what you choose to watch.  Some things I watch for pure entertainment like Friends, then something more meaty like the History Channel. I guess it is all about balance.

7. point2make profile image60
    point2makeposted 12 years ago

If used selectively TV can be very educational and an excellent "tool" to learning, however, watched for hours on end with "junk programming" it absolutely will dull the mind! Good question!

8. christianajohan profile image56
    christianajohanposted 12 years ago

TV is good for learning. To be happy doing something sharpens our mental ability. So I believe TV is good for humanity.

TV is good for relaxation also. Choose good programs, of course.

9. profile image0
    Write to Inspireposted 12 years ago

Depends on the shows, some can get you into the mind set of why they are on the TV while others inform,entertain and allow you to relax after dealing with the reality of your life.

10. Ana Teixeira profile image60
    Ana Teixeiraposted 12 years ago

it depends a lot on what you choose to watch.. but mostly.. i would say.. yes! It's a passive way of absorving the world. The mind needs exploration!

11. radhikasree profile image70
    radhikasreeposted 12 years ago

Most of the times, I would go and watch a T.V. show that is of interest to me.  But sometimes it won't be up to my expectations and those times it makes me dull.

12. Swetankraj profile image60
    Swetankrajposted 12 years ago

First of all i love Discovery Chanel, more than half shows are my favorite. Who says TV dulls mind. Thats all crap. If you will watch Discovery, Nat Geo, History Channel, Animal Planet, and mixture of song you could probably entertain yourself 5- 6 hours. Thats enough for a day!

13. dsenews profile image57
    dsenewsposted 12 years ago

TV is one of the most amazing invention of the science...Dull the mind? Huh..!!!!!
    It just inspire your brain and mind...Can't you see the whole world is dying for the media..Everyone wants to be a TV hero/heroine and also media person are making the most large mount of money...If it would be such a stupid thing directly, human being would never accept this thing so widely..Coz the human has never taller the stupid thing at all.

14. Mia Montanna profile image59
    Mia Montannaposted 12 years ago

Most people would agree that after they have watched a few hours of TV they feel a little guilty for having wasted time doing such a meaningless activity, however it does have it's good points.

We all need to relax our brain cells after a day of stretching them doing our work and chores and other activities that can make your head ache, and TV can take us to another world, or another person's reality, or even another historical era and in that we escape our own problems and stresses by watching those of others.

Certainly TV is important for children if they want to learn their ABC's or how to speak english or any of a number of other things that TV provides.

And of course who would say no to the Super Bowl?  I wouldn't anyway.

So TV is very good, and can be quite bad, depending on how much we watch, why we watch, and WHAT we watch.

15. sara xiao profile image61
    sara xiaoposted 12 years ago

I guess the soap TV can probably dull the mind.  Certainly, many TV shows great. Such as Britain's Got Talent program. It attract the people who have a powerful dream. They can show themself perfectly after hard work.

16. pearpandas profile image60
    pearpandasposted 12 years ago

I don't think it inherently dulls the mind, but it does so by preventing people from doing things which helps them learn new things.

17. skys profile image59
    skysposted 12 years ago

TV can dull your mind if you constantly see some emotional and sensational material. But if you see some funny, some informative and some other mix stuff then for a reasonable time then there's no harm in watching TV except wastage of time big_smile

18. shweta25 profile image59
    shweta25posted 12 years ago

Absolutely,hampers your creativity,you get so accustomed to the daily soaps,you tend to live your life that ways...

19. YvetteParker profile image59
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

I think the real answer to this question is contingent upon three primary factors:(1) the content of what is being watched, (2) the amount of time spent watching TV, and (3) the purpose for watching TV (entertainment, education, indulging in inappropriate material, etc).

20. mikejhca profile image94
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

It can dull the mind.  When people watch TV they do not need to use their mind very much.  People watch TV when they do not want to do anything.  Watching TV can dull the mind just like sitting on the couch can be bad for your body.  However it depends on how much TV you watch and they type of show.  Some shows are educational or make you think. 

Another way watching TV dulls the mind is that most people sit while they watch TV.  Sitting around for long periods of time can make you feel tired and unmotivated.  It is hard to think clearly when you feel that way.  Exercise can give your more energy and it is good for your brain. 

TV does not need to dull your mind.  I often exercise while I watch TV and I watch some educational TV.

21. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

TV can be very helpful for we learn many things about places, animals, people and news around the world. The only thing it does is it interprets everything for you so your brain doesn't need to work hard. You are spoon fed. Unlike reading, you brain will have a good exercise since you will do all the understanding, interpretation and discernment. TV can be helpful if we use it in a balance way.

22. cclitgirl profile image92
    cclitgirlposted 12 years ago

Millions of people watch TV every day, sometimes for hours a day.  But did you ever stop to think what all that TV-watching might be doing to you, or to society in general? read more

23. aparkhurst7 profile image67
    aparkhurst7posted 11 years ago

It depends. Reality TV, definitely. However when I watch Law and Order or House I don't think as much, definitely not to the extent of those shows on MTV and Vh1.

24. JamesGrantSmith profile image59
    JamesGrantSmithposted 10 years ago

It depends on what TV you are watching, I wouldn't say it dulls the mind, just hyper-exposes it to triggers and stimuli.

25. Vortrek Grafix profile image62
    Vortrek Grafixposted 8 years ago

Definitely sometimes yes it can dull the mind, especially of you don't use a DVR selectively to view only prime material and fast forward commercials.

That said, there is prime viewing out there. Love the History and Science Channels. Also enjoy action\drama like Elementary, Blacklist, Perception, and Person of Interest (lately though the fairy tale like stories of that "machine" have become somewhat banal).

Shark Tank and The Profit are great insights into what to consider when evaluating the economic viability of a fledgling business. America Idol and America's Got Talent are also pretty good (but thank goodness for fast forward on the boring stuff).

26. Viki Pan profile image35
    Viki Panposted 8 years ago

This basically depends on how much time you spend watching TV programs and what programs exactly you choose. If you have come home after a hard working day and decided to spend an hour in front of the TV set watching scientific, news or entertainment programs or shows, then this will not dull your mind in any case. Instead, if the TV set becomes the center of your universe, this is not the best option. It doesn't make sense to get involved into the TV shows feeling the part of them. It is much better to take active part in life exploring its numerous versatile sides.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)