jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Hunger games...subliminal message?

1. wellspoken profile image61
    wellspokenposted 5 years ago

Hunger games...subliminal message?

if you saw the movie hunger games or read the book do you think that this movie is a subliminal message to everyone of where our world is headed and how it will be sooner than later?

2. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

I've heard other people say this and I will agree with them in that it's kind of an exaggerated illustration of where we already are. Aside from the makeup and hairdos but it's not that far off with those either.

3. Luna B. profile image95
    Luna B.posted 5 years ago

I wouldn't call that a "subliminal" message. Just like "1984" and every other dystopian science-fiction story ever written, "The Hunger Games" acts as a cautionary tale of where our society could go if we're not careful. It makes a very deliberate connection between our current "reality"-hungry society and the Roman gladiatorial games of the past. That's not a secret and it's really not so sneaky as to be categorized as subliminal. You've simply discovered one of the story's many themes/messages. All stories are built on a theme or central idea of some sort and science fiction/fantasy, in particular, will often use metaphors or futuristic settings to comment on present-day issues. But, it's not meant to be hidden. It's simply a metaphor that you're supposed to notice and think about (and look, you're already doing it!). Subliminal would imply they're trying to brainwash you and that's not the intention. You can't think about the message if you don't consciously make the connection. wink Stories set in the future are always built on what's going on in the present. So, yes, I'd say "The Hunger Games" is, definitely, a commentary on where our society could be headed but, I don't think it's meant to be written in stone. It's simply a pointed and intriguing "what if".

4. visionandfocus profile image72
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

I agree with Luna B. The message is hardly subliminal. It permeates the entire series and, by the way, I read and loved all 3 books in the series. I think they were well-written, ingeniously plotted, and the characterization masterfully handled. Suzanne Collins did a great job taking our present-day society a step or two further into the future. I'm glad to see that the trilogy has become required reading for teens in some schools, as its universal themes of fame and materialism, altruism, honour, strength of character, and being true to yourself, are topics that should be open for discussion among youngsters struggling to know who they are in a media-dominated world that vaunts fame and fortune above everything else.

5. NiaLee profile image59
    NiaLeeposted 2 years ago

to me it was crystal clear as soon as it started: segregation, one field productions, central government rich luxurious starving their different providers and pitching them against each other and fake reality TV sacrificing regularly to maintain power and motivation of the subjects.

working