jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What was the last film that you watched and loved, despite thinking you were goi

1. RolyRetro profile image84
    RolyRetroposted 5 years ago

What was the last film that you watched and loved, despite thinking you were going to hate it?

We often stick to a particularly genre of films, whether it be sci-fi, comedy, action, horror, romance - we tend to stick to certain types of movie and avoid others.

But what if you were missing out on a fantastic film, because its description turned you off? 

Every now and then you watch films by mistake,  because your partners or kids want to watch it,  or because you are stuck on a plane with no options.  Sometimes, you may just find a fantastic film that you never would have dreamed watching, let alone enjoying.

What are your accidentally favourite films?

2. DS Duby profile image92
    DS Dubyposted 5 years ago

Honestly I'm a diehard horror fan, especially cheesy B horror films like creature features and campy gore fests but my wife talked me into watching Hunger Games with her and I have to say I really enjoyed the movie. I know it's not exactly a "hidden gem" of a movie everyone and their dog has either read the books or watched the first movie, but I normally hate popular movies other than the comic book release stuff I stick to horror so it was a pretty big deal for me to enjoy this movie at all.

RolyRetroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was going to take my eldest kids (11 and 9) to see Hunger Games but was warned off by reviews it was too horrific! 

Roly

3. samnashy profile image82
    samnashyposted 5 years ago

Inception.   My husband loves films, he's fanatical he watches all the credits, film reviews on radio and TV.  My sons are the same.  I don't enjoy sci-fi or anything a bit off the wall.  He convinced me to watch inception,I was very negative and already decided I didn't like it before watching it.  However, what a great surprise.  I've watched it twice now which is unheard of for me.
    Lesson to self - keep an open mind.

1. DS Duby profile image92
      DS Dubyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

pretty intense movie

2. RolyRetro profile image84

My problem is that with so many great films out there, and so little free time, I can't waste a couple of hours on something I might not like! 

Agree with you regarding Inception, great film but was put off by reviews, glad I went to see it anyway.

4. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 5 years ago

Real Steel was the last movie I watched that I liked a lot despite thinking that it would not be a very good movie.  It was a lot better than I thought it would be.  The movie was about boxing robots.  While I like robots and I like science fiction it did not really look like something I would enjoy. They did a good job.  I even got some people that don't like science fiction or robots to watch it and they liked it.

Sounds terrible, and yet I've also heard positive reviews so may be one for the short list when the kids want to visit Blockbuster next.

Cheers

Roly

working