jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Is there such thing as invasion of privacy for royalty?

1. belleart profile image89
    belleartposted 5 years ago

Is there such thing as invasion of privacy for royalty?

Photographs of Kate Middleton topless were published last week in an Italian tabloid magazine.  To some this seems like a valid story to publish but to others, its a complete violation of privacy.  The couple were on private property, on holiday and had no idea they were being watched.  This type of peeping tom-ish behaviour is illegal if it happens in estates, or towns and to everybody out of the public eye, but when it involves people who are in the public eye constantly, nobody seems to care.
    Do you think the photographer and publishers were right to take and publish the photo's??

2. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 5 years ago

I strongly believe that if someone chooses to live their life in the public eye, then they have to do so. However, in this case it was an invasion of privacy due to the fact that she was on a private premises when they snapped those photos.

I really couldn't care less, because royalty in 2012 is as backward as heck, especially when their ancestors pillaged half of the world, and the only reason people follow them is because of media portrayal. It comes down to the fact that they are still human.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

This is definitely invasion of privacy and whatever legal action can be taken should be taken. Otherwise such behavior will go unchecked. We had a case in the U.S. where a somewhat famous sports reporter, Erin Andews, was filmed naked in her hotel room, somehow through the keyhole in the door. The video made the internet, but was soon removed at the order of authorities. The perpetrator went to prison and multi-million dollar suits are pending against him and the hotel. I would think, however, this Kate Middleton situation is going to be more difficult to deal with since it involves several different countries.

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They are all within the EU, so it should not be too much of an issue.

2. belleart profile image89
      belleartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully it wont be an issue.  I agree with you completely.  Why anyone thought it was ok to do is beyond me and I hope they are punished and prosecuted for this grotesque violation!

4. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Yes, everyone has a right to at least SOME privacy. While they can't complain much about the photographers during the parts of their life that they choose to make public (or required to make public in the case of the royals), in the private spaces, or the spaces where they can reasonably expect privace, they should be allowed to maintain that privacy.

1. belleart profile image89
      belleartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the comments.  I was beginning to think nobody agreed with me that this should not have happened.  I'm glad some people still have respect for their fellow people.

5. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

William and Kate broke up once during their courtship because of the press hounding her. She loves him enough to try and live with it. Some may say she was foolish going topless, but she was in a private setting. If she'd been on a public beach that would have been different. The photographers are out for a fast buck and don't give two hoots about privacy. The magazine say she's nothing to be ashamed of but that's not the point. Everybody needs some privacy, for goodness sake.