jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Inspiring movies like "Shawshank Redemption"

1. maheshpatwal profile image73
    maheshpatwalposted 5 years ago

Inspiring movies like  "Shawshank  Redemption"

The other night I was so thrilled and enlightened by watching the movie "SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION''. Can you please suggest me these kinda of motivational movies.

2. Hazzabanana8 profile image79
    Hazzabanana8posted 5 years ago

Inception is a film which is not necessarily 'inspiring' but is certainly 'enlightening'. Watching it was the only time I've been in the cinema and the audience clapped when the film endedc. You leave....affected by it. Memento is another film - same director - which had a similar effect on me.

maheshpatwalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have inception on my PC. Now i'll surely watch it. I found  tom hanks starer "catch me if you can" very interesting and thrilling movie. Christopher Nolan's memento is made in two three indian languages and all of them received very good feedback

2. Hazzabanana8 profile image79
      Hazzabanana8posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Memento is incredible but it is a film where you have to pay attention to A, appreciate it, and B, understand what is going on

3. Amber522 profile image90
    Amber522posted 5 years ago

Green Mile. Awesome movie and somewhat similar. I believe it's by the same director but I could be wrong on that part.

4. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I love Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile, maybe the only 2 Stephen King movies I like.
    For other motivational movies:
    I like "October Sky" about high school kids in a coal mining town in WV who want to get out and not have to work in the coal mines like everyone else is destined to do.  The few that get out do it with sports.  These guys are not athletes.  They do it with their brains.  Sputnik inspires them to build a model rocket.  They take 3rd place in a national science fair and all end up going to college.  The main character, Homer, ends up working at NASA.
    For a motivational music movie I would go with "August Rush", an orphan "knows" his parents are still alive because he can "hear the music".  He is a music prodigy and by going to Julliard he composes a symphony that is played in Central Park.  His parents end up there (His mother because she plays just before his concert).
    Another good music movie is "Mr. Holland's Opus".  A musician wants to write a symphony.  Since he can't make much in the music business, he takes a gig as a high school music teacher to pay the bills.  He ends up retiring as a teacher, and the movie implies he feels he did not lead a fulfilling life.  At a surprise assembly for his retirement, his former students play his symphony.  His real symphony, his opus, was his students and how he impacted their lives.  His life is further challenged by having his only child be born deaf.  A man who's life is music has to introduce music into his deaf son's life.
    For sports movies, I like "Rudy".  "A five ft nuttin'" talentless football player from a family of steel mill workers is driven to not only get into Notre Dame, but to make the football team.  His guts and determination earn him a spot on the practice squad.  But, only players that actually get into a game are considered part of the team.  Thru struggles and more reasons than you can't count to quit, he finally dresses for a game.  Since Rudy plays defense, near the end of the game, the ND quarterback throws a touchdown pass (against the coaches desire to run out the clock).  With the entire stadium shouting "Rudy", the coach reluctantly puts him in.  The rest is history!
    Who can't find "Cool Runnings" motivational.  The Jamacain Bobsled team makes it to the Olympics and is competitive at that.  They earn the respect of many of the world class bobsledders and their countrymen along the way.  "Feel the Rhythm. Feel the Ride.  Get on up it's bobsled time.  Cool Runnings."

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I loved "October Sky" and "Cool Runnings".

2. maheshpatwal profile image73

I appreciate that you took some of your time out to write this very large detailed review. I have read lots of good reviews about the movie green mile and august rush, but never gotta a chance to watch these two movies. Surely watch them both.

5. Midasfx profile image66
    Midasfxposted 5 years ago

The movie "Serendipity" is an inspirational love story. In fact,  it's the only chick flick I really enjoy.

Bruce Almighty may not be the best movie ever, but it is absolutely hilarious and has a good underlying meaning.

Midasfx I've seen both the movies. I must say both are awesome movies. I liked "Serendipity" the most when it comes to light hearted romantic movies.But you can not compare "Shawshank" with bruce almighty or "Serendipity". Thanks. Good movie taste.

2. Midasfx profile image66
      Midasfxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have never sat through the green mile but I have seen parts of it on the tele years ago. Didn't think it was that great.  And Shawshank, I was forced to watch this in a class in High school. Yep, I totally passed out and have never seen it since.

6. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

Crash is a very inspiring movie with multiple story lines and deep messages intertwined throughout.

7. noelyesakay profile image60
    noelyesakayposted 5 years ago

In terms of finding your place in terms of passions and career, "Julie and Julia" has affected me the most. "Dead Poets Society" is also one of my personal favorites. For movies that pre-date the 1980s, I recommend "The Miracle Worker," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," and, of course, "Rocky."

There are also a couple of filmed plays that inspire and enlighten. Stephen Sondheim's musical "Sunday in the Park with George" makes some observations about artistic careers that hit close to home. And any of Julia Sweeney's one woman shows are wonderful, in particular "God Said 'Ha!'" covers her brother's battle with Stage IV cancer and her entire family moving down to Los Angeles to be with him.

working