jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

What is the funniest thing to ever happen to you on Thanksgiving?

1. TToombs08 profile image73
    TToombs08posted 5 years ago

What is the funniest thing to ever happen to you on Thanksgiving?

My funniest experience on Thanksgiving was the year the cat and dog conspired  to destroy the uncooked turkey before we had a chance to put it in the oven. We ended up having lasagna for dinner that year and started a new family tradition.

2. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I cooked my first turkey in college. When it was done, I didnt know what this white  thing was inside the turkey. It was the innards still in the white plastic bag left inside.

TToombs08posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Janshares. Would you believe I've done that too? It came out with the stuffing. LOL

2. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I swear, everyone has done this....it's usually your first try at cooking a turkey!!  LOL

3. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

Oh goodness! I hope your cat and dog were at least grateful for the meal smile
    I don't know how funny it was, but on the first Thanksgiving I spent with my first husband we got five or six dinner invitations to dinner. We were quite young and wanted to be polite and go to all of them; and we did. But talk about miserable stomachs by the time we got home! After that year we limited ourselves to no more than two dinners on Thanksgiving, lol.

Hey there, bethperry! Ugh! Six dinners? You were brave! I don't think I could even do two. Probably dinner at one and dessert at the other. And it would boil down to who had the best pecan pie. smile

4. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 5 years ago

When I was about twenty, my old boyfriend went to my family's house for Thanksgiving dinner without me. He went by himself and he didn't know anybody and supposedly everyone was giving him dirty looks. That's funny in a ''strange" sort of way.

What the heck made him decide to drop in on your family? LOL! That is a little 'strange.' smile

5. kj force profile image70
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

When my eldest daughter and her then husband hosted their first Thanksgiving, and invited 30 friends/family to dinner... he chose to impress by doing the cooking...he decided to deep fry the bird...which it rained that day so it did it on their screened in porch..not the best idea.. when he went to lower the turkey in the fryer, within minutes it burst into flames, also removed his eyebrows and front of his hair, and their porch also..they live in a rural area..no fire hydrants..so the fire dept had to go to the back of their property to pump water from their lake..needless to say we made the local news..and ended up eating subs from  Subway...20 miles away..

1. profile image0
      SandCastlesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is a turkey fryer video on youtube featuring William Shatner. It's funny but also educational. Shatner discusses how to be safe when deep frying a turkey.

2. TToombs08 profile image73

I hope they either learned to fry a turkey the safe way or gave it up completely. smile I hope there wasn't too much damage to the house, and only their prides. smile Great story, KJ! smile

6. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Well......Many years ago....when I still prided myself on huge home made gourmet meals, baking of desserts included......I made a chocolate cream pie.....(.and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.).....anyway, my sister/best friend.......had been plotting to pull a prank on our cousin, Paul (the trouble maker) to retaliate a trick he had pulled on her.......so, she grabbed a pie plate and filled it to the top with swirls of whipped cream and put it with the rest of the pies.......when it came time for dessert, she grabbed the whipped cream pie and walked over to unsuspecting Paul and smashed his face with the pie..........WHICH WASN'T HER PHONY PIE, BUT MY CREAM PIE!!     What was funny about it?  The look on my sister's face and her reaction....which was near hysteria, apologizing, trying to put the pie back together, etc etc......Everyone was in stitches.......even me.   I forgave her for ruining my pie.....because I love her!      Her plan was foiled...DRAT!!!

lol! Effer, your family get togethers must be something else!  Thank you for sharing such a funny and entertaining story. smile

7. gerrywalker profile image68
    gerrywalkerposted 5 years ago

When I was 16, I was dating the usher in a movie theater.  Near Thanksgiving, we went to the movies and as I sat by myself in a seat in the center (he was seating people, etc.) they had a drawing for a turkey on stage.

I WON!  Never having won anything before in my life, I was thrilled!  Imagine my hurt feelings when, as I stood in the aisle later with my turkey (and the usher), people came by and frowned at me, saying, "It was a fix!"

Of course, it was a fix.  But after I got over being embarrassed, I was happy to take the turkey home and mom baked it for Thanksgiving. 

I broke up with the usher shortly after that.

He didn't get any of the turkey.

Good for you, Gerry! A girl after my own heart...only in it for the turkey (bird, not the ex). smile

8. jodeci profile image61
    jodeciposted 5 years ago

This was some years ago. I was invited by my friend's family for Thanksgiving Dinner. My friend has a lot of cousins, unfortunately some of the cousins don't particularly get along. Anyway it seemed that everyone was having a good time when an arguement "sparked."

After the arguement a fight broke out and the evening ended early.

Oh my! At least it didn't turn into a food fight. smile

working