jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What are your suggestions for a non-traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

1. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 4 years ago

What are your suggestions for a non-traditional Thanksgiving Dinner?

I love turkey and dressing. LOVE IT. But every few years, I just want something different for Thanksgiving. Turkey at Thanksgiving AND Christmas is just a bit much. So what are your suggestions for a festive Thanksgiving dinner minus the turkey?

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

Try making a hog maw dinner. I can personally attest to its "deliciousness."

This will tell you more about it:  mygrandmasrecipes.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/pig-stomach-hog-maw

3. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

Lobster is recorded as being one of the foods eaten at the first American Thanksgiving. It is also delicious and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Venison is also a great alternative, one that was enjoyed by Natives and Pilgrims alike.

4. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I recommend roast pork loin because it pairs well with the traditional sides usually served at Thanksgiving. I did a recipe hub on this subject of trying something different instead of or in addition to turkey.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Jan, pork roasts are wonderful. I prefer to make pork shoulder roasts because of the extra marbling, moisture, and tenderness.

5. easylearningweb profile image92
    easylearningwebposted 4 years ago

How about roasted chicken? Either a whole chicken of cut-up chicken, with roasted potatoes and lots of veggies and salad?  I think chicken is more popular in general and a not as dry as turkey.

I also agree with Janshares about roast pork. Add some apple sauce and baked potatoes, delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

6. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 4 years ago

This year we are having roast duck for a change.  We are also serving a cheese-sausage stuffed bread instead of stuffing and having oven roasted potatoes in place of mashed.  My hubby is making warmed mini apple turnovers topped with apple-pie ice cream.  Guess we are having a non-traditional year.