jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is Blogging considered Journalism?

1. Colten Garrett profile image60
    Colten Garrettposted 5 years ago

Is Blogging considered Journalism?

Blogging could mean a lot of different things but I wan't your opinion on it.

2. Shushanik profile image92
    Shushanikposted 5 years ago

I consider blogging journalism. When I blog I make a lot of research, study some information and give it in a concise and interesting manner. Exactly what journalists do. I worked as a journalist several years ago and what I did at that time and what I do as a blogger now basically is the same smile

Colten Garrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer. As so do I consider it journalism.

3. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 5 years ago

No, but blogging has changed the rules of journalism. There are some blogs that apply journalist ethics to the blog medium and they become very powerful and popular. In the Philippines we have Raissa Robles whose blog is so well researched that she has a huge following simply because of her credibility. So this is an evolution of journalism and gives more power to people, has impact on a lot of important local issues and makes some senators in our country hate her. I think she has done a lot in terms of transforming the blog format into a more investigative type of journalism where she not only mentions her sources, she uploads the documents, videos, etc. In this way she also widens the former limitations of journalism. A news article had to just have the facts. Her stories include background, and all sorts of stuff. 

But not all blogging is journalism. At any rate, why should it be? Blogging is an art all its own and I'm so grateful there are blogs I can read about dogs, about DIY stuff, interior design, et al and have full enjoyment. I love reading the thoughts of normal people and peeking into lives very different from my own.

Colten Garrettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That was a very, very good answer thank you for your opinion.

4. Tricia1000 profile image71
    Tricia1000posted 5 years ago

User generated content, including blogs, is generally referred to as citizen journalism and if the blogger has a huge following news or information can be spread worldwide within minutes.  This is actually a topic that has been debated extensively by academics and journalists.  The debate is still ongoing. As @grand old lady pointed out, the rules of journalism have changed and will continue to change.

working