If you're already a Trekkie and have seen the new Star Trek film, what are your

1. Steve Witschel profile image96
    Steve Witschelposted 4 years ago

If you're already a Trekkie and have seen the new Star Trek film, what are your thoughts?

2. R Creighton G profile image60
    R Creighton Gposted 4 years ago

As a TrekkER*, I'm quite happy with the altered timeline shenanigans of Abrams's movies (so far).  It's a universe I love to visit, and every neighborhood needs a sprucing-up now and then.  There are some elements I could do without (the Spock/Uhura thing is less than compelling, and the bridge decor is too glassy-sparkly for my taste), but I enjoy other touches and departures from the old-school timeline (dig the dress uniform with the cap!)

I've always appreciated Trek's philosophical bent, but must admit I enjoy it best when it's spiced with action.  This is one reason why every Star Trek series' later seasons are on the whole better than the early ones, and why, of the Star Trek films, WRATH OF KHAN and FIRST CONTACT and the two Abrams films are the most riveting and fun.  My opinion, of course.

*  Trekker -- A fan who might own a model or two, might have even read a novel or twelve, and is not averse to the idea of  attending a convention if schedules or other pursuits permit.

*  Trekkie -- A fan who has lost all sense of proportion, owns as many models and toys he or she can attain, goes to all the conventions, wears insignia at all times somewhere on his or her clothing (if not actually tattooed on their flesh), and whose most satisfying conversations tend to be debates with other Trekkies as to the relative dimensions of Starfleet vessels.  See also Sheldon Cooper.

3. Garlonuss profile image79
    Garlonussposted 4 years ago

Without spoiling anything in particular, I have a simple concern about the casting of Cumberbatch simply because of his phenotype, but other than that, he pulls the roll off quite effectively. Sulu really doesn't have much to do, and Neither does Chekov aside from the fact that he was reassigned. I could stand to see a bit more of Karl Urban, too.
    But the action is fast paced and energetic. The story is involved, though not confusing. The use of technology is well done and unassuming (like the little portable hole in the Brig window) making the universe feel lived-in and full.
    I seriously hope the next Star Wars is great, but I also hope it doesn't keep Abrams from returning for another excellent Trek movie. Apparently Paramount really wants a new move for 2016, which is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.
    (Also, I basically agree with R Creighton G's assessment of Trekker verses Trekkie, but the way I've usually defined it is that a Trekker is a fan--could be a strong fan--but a Trekkie is one who appears to have built his identity very much around Star Trek and its universe--Starfleet clothes at all times, reads the bible in Klingon, that kind of thing.)

working