jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is your favorite movie/TV adaptation of the Arthurian legend?

1. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image87
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago

What is your favorite movie/TV adaptation of the Arthurian legend?

Feel free to include anything connected even slightly with the King Arthur legend. Be as obscure as you want. Also, if possible, list some of the stars of your choice.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8035232_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Excalibur. It came out in the 80's. We really enjoyed it and watched it over and over.

3. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I'll pick a very famous one, but one that many do not realize is a retelling of Arthurian myth. The Lord of the Rings, book by J.R.R. Tolkien, movie adaptation by Peter Jackson with Viggo Mortensen playing Aragorn, who returns to be King. When one looks closely, one sees many parallels: the broken sword reforged; the child hidden away with his mother who later discovers his royal heritage and goes through adventures that test him and prove he is the rightful king, and many more.

4. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

I realize now that I haven't seen many film adaptations of the Arthurian legend. I've seen Disney's Sword in the Stone, although I don't remember that much about it. I saw First Knight in the 90's, with Sean Connery and Richard Gere, which wasn't that good... and I saw the TV miniseries Merlin, starring Sam Neill. That one was pretty cool.

I shall take recommendations from this question.

5. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8036535_f260.jpg

I too would pick John R. R. Tolkien's work since it is indeed somewhat similar. Keep in mind, Tolkien's work goes significantly beyond King Arthur legend yet it cannot be argued that it is not inclusive of King Arthur-like parallels.

6. Shinkicker profile image94
    Shinkickerposted 4 years ago

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nee!!!"

Closed to reply

working