jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Has anyone seen the new "Lone Ranger" movie yet?

1. TheHoleStory profile image80
    TheHoleStoryposted 4 years ago

Has anyone seen the new "Lone Ranger" movie yet?

If you haven't I highly recommend you seeing it on the big screen in the movie theaters before it disappears. The shoot out on the train scene is awesome, and Johnny Depp brings the character Tonto to a whole new level like you've never seen before!

2. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 4 years ago

Yes I saw it and it was great.  Here's a review I wrote. http://diana-lee.hubpages.com/hub/The-L … tern-Movie

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

"I highly recommend you seeing it on the big screen in the movie theaters before it disappears."

...too late. It's already disappeared.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

T, sorry to say, I HATED this movie!  I hadn't read ANY reviews before seeing "The Lone Ranger" and  was so looking forward to it.  However, in my humble, non-professional opinion, this was absolutely the most ill-conceived rendition of a noble classic I've ever experienced - almost to the point of being blasphemous, if that term could apply a movie.  I adored the Lone Ranger as a child of 10 and probably was in love with Jay Silverheels (Tonto) in my own little girl heart. As an only child, these two were my heroes and provided respite from lonely hours in front of a vacuum tube "TV set" all by myself on a Saturday morning. They represented, like Superman - "truth, justice..." and everything else honorable to me at the time.  In black and white with only minimal, old-fashioned "special effects," the story lines stood by themselves - logical and engaging. The story line in the new "Lone Ranger" was...well, wait a minute, was there one?  I can't remember.

The special effects in this miserable re-make were so over-the-top, so "too-far-east-is-west" that I was actually yawning at the train scene at the end - totally bored with the whatever improbable action might next take place.  Movies are powerful when they have the ability to suspend your disbelief.  You can't suspend your disbelief at the preposterous.
    The museum scenes with the little boy were totally nonsensical to me and again, did nothing to make me forget I was in a theater watching a movie rather than being swept into whatever drama was supposed to be taking place on the screen.
    The mixture of comedy with bloody violence (I had to close my eyes at the scene in the dessert) was totally unrepresentative of the original series.  It made me sad and a bit angry.  (If I had grandchildren, I doubt if I would be comfortable taking them just because of that scene alone.)
    Just to be clear, I'm not one to post "remember when" pictures on Facebook looking back to the 50s with sickening nostalgia and I have a daughter, who is an actor, comedian, and screenwriter in Hollywood. But for filmmakers and writers Elliott, Rossio, and Haythe to have mixed this hodge-podge of nothingness together and impose it on talented actors was a travesty.  (But I don't mean to mince words smile

1. Diana Lee profile image83
      Diana Leeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I for one am very glad it took nothing from the classic story we grew to love.  If you missed the connection the boy in the museum had in the introduction then no wonder you were lost.  My husband did the same thing. He left me to watch it alone.

2. KatyWhoWaited profile image60
      KatyWhoWaitedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Diana, I did get that connection.  The museum figure coming to life in the manner it did, plus the acting of that little guy just turned me off. We all see something different and that's the quality of universality, but it never connection with me

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

T, Thank you for choosing my comment.  I am sincerely flattered.  I realize I might have just a BIT of bias toward the old series smile but it was fun to be able to express my thoughts in the comments. Warm wishes, Billie