jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Does a nostalgic piece of music make you cry or smile?

1. annart profile image87
    annartposted 4 years ago

Does a nostalgic piece of music make you cry or smile?

If you hear a piece of music that reminds you of someone or something or some event, does it make you cry or smile?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

It really depends on the song. Songs can do both for me. They can take me back to a time of great joy or deep sadness.

annartposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Me too! Thanks for your answer and super-fast response!

3. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

There is a song that brings to me tears just thinking about it.  7 x 70 by Chris August. 
    Seven times seventy times
    I'll do what it takes to make it right
    I thought the pain was here to stay
    But forgiveness made a way.

It always touches me because it's about growing up with his family.  It brings back some memories from my own.

I see what you mean; memories can do so many different things to the emotions. Thanks for answering.

4. europewalker profile image76
    europewalkerposted 4 years ago

When I was young "The end of the world"  by Skeeter Davis would always get to me. It is a sad song, brings back memories of young love. Her voice is lovely. You can find it on youtube.

I know this one & yes it's lovely; she has a haunting voice. Thanks for your contribution.

5. RetroDJ profile image69
    RetroDJposted 4 years ago

Music motivates people in ways to reminisce or forget.  Both of which can be a either positive or negative so I would think cry or smile is possible.

Thanks for dropping by.  You're so right - but what do YOU do?!!

6. Wakerra profile image74
    Wakerraposted 4 years ago

I think it just makes me crave the enviroment again.  Like old video game music from Donkey Kong Country, or Super Mario 64, or even the first two Banjo games...  Oh how i want to play Banjo Tooie!

Yes it does often make one want to 'relive the moment'!  Probably a good job we can't, most of the time!  Thanks for your contribution.

7. Tygher41 profile image79
    Tygher41posted 4 years ago

I cry at songs/movies that make me happy more so then from sadness. Hearing the National Anthem before sporting events makes me cry! I'm a sap for music...

I know just what you mean about the National Anthem - Jerusalem does that for me too.  In fact really stirring classical music has been welling up, though I'm never really sure why - I guess good music swells the emotions from inside oneself.

working