jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How has music played a part in your memories of life?

1. Gary Rowell profile image58
    Gary Rowellposted 6 years ago

How has music played a part in your memories of life?

What is your story of how music has impacted you?

2. Ben Graves profile image82
    Ben Gravesposted 6 years ago

Music has impacted my life's memories in a lot of ways. For me, a lot of songs from the 90s and up make me more depressed and I don't like most, while a lot of music from before carries with it a sound that feels more nostalgic, especially since I was raised on older classics. Certain songs I've heard at horrible points in my life make me feel nostalgic about other things, but then they make me depressed about that terrible event.

Music connects to me on a hugely emotional level and without it I don't think I'd have too many ways to remember my own past. It's the catalyst that activates my memory, along with certain films, shows and video games in pop culture, all reminding me of different chapters in my life.

3. Gary Rowell profile image58
    Gary Rowellposted 6 years ago

Thanks Ben, I agree that earlier music seems to have a simpler, more happy and pure appeal to it. I love all types of music, but like you I was raised on music that my parents listened to. Brings back good times for me. A great mood enhancer and each song is like a bookmark in different time periods of my life.

4. Monisajda profile image73
    Monisajdaposted 6 years ago

In different phases of my life I listened to different genres of music. As a teen I loved progressive rock from 70's like Genesis, Yes. Later I enjoyed rock probably till my mid twenties. Now, I like classical music and new age but occasionally I feel inclined to revisit my favorite albums from earlier years. Right now I am listening to Marillion and tears are rolling down my cheeks as I relive my memories of teen years.

I am also a painter and each of my paintings is inspired by a particular piece of music so whenever I look at one I remember the emotions that stirred me while I listened and created my art.

working