jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Who is the greatest comedian of all time?

1. wiserworld profile image91
    wiserworldposted 4 years ago

Who is the greatest comedian of all time?

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

I think its Charlie Chaplin. He is the pioneer. No doubt there have been many wonderful comedians after that, but I think they all got inspired by him. Others may differ, but this is my opinion.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I like different ones for different reasons - it's hard to pick a single favorite.  For example I always thought Bill Cosby was funny. His comedy is clean, something the whole family can enjoy and get a chuckle out of. His stand-ups we've watched dozens of times and we still laugh.  good stuff.

Complete opposite end of the spectrum and another all time favorite of mine was George Carlin. He was course, abrasive, and highly intelligent and observant.  He pointed out a lot of hypocrisy and human frailties in brutally painful ways - but it was still hilarious. No one was spared and he took anyone and everyone to task. His comedy always makes me laugh too and we still watch the stand-ups.  I would never ever watch him with my kids though wink.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image95
      Georgie Loweryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I second George Carlin. He managed to be hilarious and make his audiences think at the same time.

4. drbj profile image83
    drbjposted 4 years ago

The greatest comedian of all time (drum roll, please) was Charlie Chaplin because: 
    1) He was one of the first comedians in silent films and was funny even without speaking a word.
    2) He was also a talented writer, director, producer and singer/dancer.
    3) He told me so in my: "Interview with Charlie Chaplin."

working