What are the TEN outstanding characteristics of the scariest, darkest, most macabre horror
1. Darkness/vagueness--who isn't still just a little bit afraid of the dark?
2. The unknown horror--what you don't see scares you more than what you do see
3. Missing, dead, or mutilated people or, to a lesser extent, animals
4. Sounds that are unidentifiable, smells described as unidentifiably horrible
5. Anticipation that something bad is about to happen--again
6. Stories/rumors that this has happened in the distant past
7. Unseen monsters (but not necessarily unheard, unsmelled, or unfelt)
8. The inability to escape your fate, or the perceived inability to do so
9. An intelligent monster, or one who at least appears intelligent from its actions
10. Limited time to for actors to react/act/plan between horrifying acts
11. Like in Greek tragedy, the violence occurs primarily offscreen, leaving the watcher to imagine the horrifying reality taking place
Everything I learned about true horror was from H.P. Lovecraft, the master even above Poe, who's darn good himself. Shelley's Frankenstein, Robert Louis Stevenson... All great horror/sci fi authors.
My favorite horror movie (which is also sci fi) is "Alien" (singular--the first in the series). It meets most/all of the criteria above.
by Grace Marguerite Williams 2 years ago
What are the top 10 scariest horror movies?
by Jeff Berndt 5 years ago
What's the scariest thing you've ever done?Why was it scary for you? Why did you do it anyway?
by Beth Perry 2 years ago
What is the scariest movie you have ever watched?And what about the film gave you goose bumps?
by mtd 5 years ago
Who are some of your favorite movie villains?I'm thinking about writing a hub about best movie villains. Who are some of your scariest, most powerful, sadistic, evil, almost inspiring, intelligent, unpredictable, ominous, unforgettable movie villains?
by Elayne 3 years ago
What is the scariest movie you remember?
by Grace Marguerite Williams 3 years ago
What is the SCARIEST,MOST FRIGHTENING movie you have EVER seen?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|