jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you open jars with your left hand or right hand?

1. jaydawg808 profile image92
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

Do you open jars with your left hand or right hand?

And are you a lefty or righty??

I'm a righty, but open jars with my left hand.

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I use both hands. The left hand is on the lid and the right hand is on the jar. I turn both in opposite directions. Depending on the size of the jar and the product inside. I will give the bottom a good hit with my right hand to break any air bubbles that are causing any resistance.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

I guess it just depends on how I feel, I can use either hand equally, I'm ambidextrous.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Hold the jar with my right hand, open the lid with my left.

5. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'm a mainly right-handed person with some ambidextrous tendencies for some tasks, but I only write with my left...

and I pretty much only open and close jar lids with the left.   Opening jars with the right would, to me, feel like asking the right to twist in an awkward direction when hand-strength is most needed - opening the jar.  It occurs to me that maybe it makes a difference for the person with small hands and not a lot of strength in them in general.  (Maybe every shred of strength and lack of awkwardness matters more for some people than others?)  Or, maybe for the left-handed jar-opener it's a matter of finding the right combination/degree of lack of awkwardness, and therefore maximized strength,  and dexterity? )