jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Why are so many kids obsessed with Elmo and SpongeBob Square Pants?

1. CWanamaker profile image98
    CWanamakerposted 3 years ago

Why are so many kids obsessed with Elmo and SpongeBob Square Pants?

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure, but I imagine that Elmo strikes a chord with kids because he talks like they do and what he has to teach on Sesame Street is presented in a fun way. As for SpongeBob, I think kids just enjoy the manic plots and zany characters. Adults (like me) find SpongeBob and friends funny as there is a lot of adult humor hiding in the dialog and situations. It is subtle but it is there. A couple of years ago I wrote a double review for SpongeBob Squarepants that you may find of interest  http://bethperry.hubpages.com/hub/Spong … the-adults

CWanamakerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think your right about Elmo.  I think the kids are attracted to his higher pitched voice and his friendly nature as well.  I also agree about SlingsHot.  There are plenty of adult jokes I  that show to keep the whole family entertained.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, lol!

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 3 years ago

When it comes to Spongebob Squarepants it's because it matches my own wackiness and mild insanity. I grew up on junk food, sugary drinks and had a pool of untapped energy wasted on watching shows like Oggy and the Cockroaches, as well as Ren & Stimpy. Those shows were so zany that it required all my energy to focus on what was going on, as well as laugh so hard at the brainless humour that went on. Even as an adult I find the kind of humour Squarepants offers is brilliant, especially because it tells jokes that I've always wanted to see. My all-time favourite gag was in the movie, where Dennis the antagonist takes off his sunglasses to reveal another pair, and I've never seen that done before.

So I guess you can see why children love that character - the plots are easy to understand, the characters are goofy and they're so dynamic it requires an imaginative mind to be able to follow the exploits in Bikini Bottom. There's few shows like SB SP nowadays because of role models, when Oggy and the Cockroaches were role models for would-be psychopaths.

Finally I think the term 'obsessed' is overdoing it. There have been cases where people worshipped characters but that time I believe has passed. To fully understand why they're fanatical about these characters though, you have to place yourself in their shoes with their imagination and wildest fantasies - what we think is delusional for adults is just a normal day for an energetic and imaginative child.

CWanamakerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Great explanation.  I to find Sponge Bob to be humorous.  I also remember watching Ren & Stimpy as a kid.  That was a pretty funny show.  Rocko's Modern Life was crazy as well.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, John!

working