jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Is it rude to sing along at concerts?

1. Amanda108 profile image94
    Amanda108posted 3 years ago

Is it rude to sing along at concerts?

My opinion: absolutely, yes, it's beyond rude! It's downright obnoxious! But I recently came across a forum of people who feel the opposite, so now I'm curious about the general opinion.

2. RachaelOhalloran profile image86
    RachaelOhalloranposted 3 years ago

No, it is not rude to sing along, It is expected where I come from in LA.  But if you are louder than the artist where your voice overpowers them and the audience can't enjoy the artist, then YES, it is rude and totally out of line.

1. PlatinumBGirl profile image72
      PlatinumBGirlposted 15 months agoin reply to this

That's the way I see it.  You're fine as long at the artist is the one who's shining and not the fan.

3. ajosh143 profile image61
    ajosh143posted 3 years ago

How could it be rude when there are few artists in concerts who says "put your hands together" and "sing it along" ?

4. brutishspoon profile image66
    brutishspoonposted 3 years ago

I remember talking to a friend who works as a keyboard player for One Night of Queen the Tribute concert that tours the world. Gary the lead singer who plays the part of Freddie really well hates an audience that does not get on there feet and join in. Here in the UK you will always find that it is the normal thing to do. But yes don't go screaming the words at the top of your voice that is very rude.

An artist likes to get the audience to join in and at times will allow the audience to sing some lines on their own. It is a great way to connect with them. If the audience don't sing along then the artist will think you are really a fan and in Gary's case he has been known to threaten to walk off stage and end the gig early.

P.S I'm an acoustic guitarist myself and I would like Gary be offended if no one was singing along if I was in a band.

5. Jeannieinabottle profile image90
    Jeannieinabottleposted 3 years ago

I don't think it is rude at all.  I enjoy singing along at concerts.  It let's the performer know you love the song so much, you've taken the time to learn the lyrics. 

Of course, I suppose there is a time and a place for everything.  If you are seated at a rather mellow concert, loudly singing is inappropriate.  If you are standing in the crowd at a loud rock concert, singing along is a good idea.

6. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 3 years ago

I haven't been to many  concerts myself however every concert I have seen on TV the singer encourages the audience to sing along & it looks rude not to .. &  the concerts I have been to ... Yes I sang along .. quietly as I am not a good singer but everyone else sang along as well .. & John Farnham.. John English... seemed happy to see us all happy singing ...

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I don't think it is unless the person doing it is singing so loud they drown out the performer. I always sing along if I know the song, but I do it in almost a whisper because I know I can't sing worth a darn and I do think that would bother people.

8. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

I agree with the others, I think it is perfectly acceptable as long as it is not interfering with the performance.

9. PlatinumBGirl profile image72
    PlatinumBGirlposted 15 months ago

No it's not.  I went to see Platinum Blonde at the Markham Theatre last year and I sang every song that I knew the lyrics to.
    Platinum Blonde actually expects that the older fans, my age or older, to sing a long with the songs.  In fact I think that Mark Holmes, the band's lead singer and bass player, looked down at as I was singing, and dancing, along to Doesn't Really Matter.  I don't think that he minded me singing too much as long as I wasn't out shining him.

1. PlatinumBGirl profile image72
      PlatinumBGirlposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Sorry that should say "looked down at me."

working