jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Is 'The Shawshank Redemption' the greatest movie ever made?

1. sandeep15r profile image80
    sandeep15rposted 2 years ago

Is 'The Shawshank Redemption' the greatest movie ever made?

Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency. The movie has topped IMDB TOP 250 list. Lead actor Tim Robbins states “I swear to God, all over the world—all over the world—wherever I go, there are people who say, ‘That movie changed my life’?”
    And I'm also a great of this movie. What say you. 

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Definitely a fav :-) I should watch it again one day. It is a challenge these days for me to keep up with films. Any hoot I think Freeman did a fantabulous work of art with his acting and narrating. His voice tonal qualities seems to be as perfect as one can get with that film and many of his others too. My view is the mix between the actors - Robbins and Freeman turned out to be a great mix. Great Plot, awesome ending, and Love pondering after seeing it.

3. melissae1963 profile image82
    melissae1963posted 2 years ago

It is a fantastic movie, but I liked it as a short story more. Did you know that Stephen King wrote the book?

1. sandeep15r profile image80
      sandeep15rposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, usually I don't read King. But I have read 'On Writing' by him. It is a must-read book for new writers.

4. GizSleep profile image79
    GizSleepposted 2 years ago

It's an excellent film but I find it's a matter of taste. I know a lot of people who consider Citizen Kane to be the greatest film ever made but I don't particularly care for it. I think at it's core a film (whilst having a message) should be designed to capture and entertain an audience. So my personal favorite would be Aliens and I'd argue that's the greatest film ever made as it entertained me more than any other, so I think it's a personal choice really. I think more people would opt for The Shawshank Redemption than Aliens so from an overall point of view it may be considered the greatest film ever.

5. Qmarpat profile image70
    Qmarpatposted 2 years ago

I liked it but i liked the book by Stephen King, more. The story reminds me of a movie, from the late 1950's: "Damn the Defiant". It was starring Sidney Portier, and another actor handcuffed together. They were escaped inmates, from maximum security. I like the Movie Shawshank Redemption, but there are many movies over the years that or just as fine, that fans may like even more. Good choice, though.