jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do celebrity endorsements of causes work? Is ISIS going to stop pedophilic rape

1. Terrex profile image80
    Terrexposted 2 years ago

Do celebrity endorsements of causes work?
    Is ISIS going to stop pedophilic rape for Angelina Jolie?

At the British House of Lords, Angelina Jolie talked yesterday about how Islamic State jihadists are using rape as a weapon to terrorise and destroy communities.
    Others have been saying this for years, and Islamic State terrorists keep raping little boys and girls.
    Is this a feel-good exercise for celebrities, or does this sort of thing ever make a difference?

2. Kara Skinner profile image87
    Kara Skinnerposted 2 years ago

It actually just might. Raising awareness is a big part of stopping heinous acts like this and celebrities like Angelina Jolie reach large audiences who might not be exposed to such topics. Would ISIS say "Oh, we'll stop now because Angelina says so"? Probably not. But I believe it actually does some good and it definitely doesn't hurt anything.

3. letstalkabouteduc profile image99
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 years ago

I believe it makes a tremendous difference when celebrities shine a light on atrocities in the world. Celebrities reach a portion of the population that doesn't pay close attention to global events (that includes most of us). I knew nothing about the genocide in Darfur until George Clooney started speaking out about it. When famous singers sang "We Are the World" in the '80s, they brought attention to starving people in Africa. We are a celebrity-obsessed culture. I'm extremely impressed when celebrities use their fame to help others, not just sell products and promote their movies.

1. Terrex profile image80
      Terrexposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Famine etc., I understand,  because it helps gather money for aid.
      It just seems like when terrorists like Islamic State, Hamas and Taliban are involved, celebrities really seem irrelevant 'cos the perpetrators really couldn't care less...