Should male dominated movies be remade with female dominated movies?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 7 years ago

Should male dominated movies be remade with female dominated movies?

This is the first image of Ocean 8 (remake of Ocean 11) starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Rest of the All-Female Cast.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13384567_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

If the cast is good, and the script is strong, sure, why not? There are always fewer roles for women than men in film, so anything that can be done to even the playing field, while still producing an entertaining film, should be done.

Kenna McHughposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is true. Why give it relatively the same title? Draw men as well?

2. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Because in Hollywood, a franchise is a franchise, no matter who stars in the films.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Yup, it's called copyrights.

4. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It has nothing to do with copyright. It has to do with continuing a franchise, and making money from it based on its core following.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92

True, but there is some sort of copyright issue as well.  Of course, it is the legal aspect not the box office aspect.

3. BLouw profile image66
    BLouwposted 7 years ago

Yes, that would be great! I remember being so impressed with the first Alien film for the dominant role it gave to a woman and the lack of sexism involved.

Yes. That was a great movie. Weaver's breakout role.

4. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

No. It offends the audience base, and it is never enough for the feminists.

Yes. Film business tends to get it wrong, but it is worth a try. I hope it doesn't turn out like Ghostbusters.

2. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

...who on earth would be offended by such a thing?

5. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Recycling old ideas (sequels, remakes) is huge in the film/television business right now.  Switching the genders of the main cast is a way to make it slightly new.  So sure, why not?

If it works. The cast looks great. What about a popular movie with a strong female character remade with a strong male character instead.

Sure, could be cool depending on the movie. Maybe an all male version of Bridesmaids? Though pretty sure that might just end up being The Hangover.

Yes. It would be Hangover. Bridesmaid is a funny movie.

6. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

There are a lot of factors to consider such as whether or not it's a great script, you have top notch actresses who are very popular and believable for the role, and there has been enough time elapsed for a {new generation} to embrace it.
    Older generations tend to view the original as "theirs"; a "classic that shouldn't be messed with. They hate the idea of a remake!
    When it comes to selling movie tickets most buyers are in their teens to mid 20s who flock to theatres in the "make or break" (opening weekend).
    When it comes to "action movies" or "superhero movies" we're talking about mostly (young males). I'm not sure how many of those teenage boys will race to the theatre to see a 52 year old Sandra Bullock and 47 year old Cate Blanchett.
    Most of us more mature movie goers don't rush to the theatre on opening weekend. A movie featuring older actors (usually) has to have great reviews, "legs" or staying power to remain in the theatres to make money if it's not an established franchise.
    Ocean's 8 was smart enough to add some younger members to it's cast such as Anne Hathaway 34, singer Rihanna 28, and Awkwafina rapper/comedian/television personality to draw in some younger movie goers.
    One thing is for certain you don't want to tell the same exact story and just change the gender.
    Any remake should reflect modern times and be fresh.

I agree but why not just use a different title. So many remakes are so diverse that it is silly to call it a remake or similar title.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

In this particular case "Ocean's 8" is used because the Sandra Bullock character's last name is Ocean.
      She supposedly is Danny Ocean's/George Clooney's sister.
      Her heist & storyline will be different.
      It's an extension and not really a remake

I see. It good to know.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio, Don't you also think that if the script has a gender for the role, it may not work. For ex, which would have the larger audience Mr. or Miss Universe;America; World etc. I am just  saying don't force it just to change gender

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92

bradmasterOCcal, I see what you mean. It will take marketing and lots of explaining. I will be surprised if does well.

7. profile image53
    peter565posted 7 years ago

Yes and no, there are always going to be more male warrior then female warriors, This is not to talk about combat skills, but biological advantages, it is not saying all men could kick all women's ass in a fight, but we cannot denier the average man been 4 times stronger then the average woman, simply by been a man, helps. When I was in university, and work in delivery relating jobs, whenever there are heavy packages, we guys can lift two at once, holding one on our right shoulder and another one on our left shoulder, the girls on the other hand, always need at least two girls, working together, just to lift one.

Of course, having good combat skills help that is why female cops are able to beat a man in a fight, despite not been as strong and male cops, can take on a guy way bigger and masculine then him, but we can't denier been stronger bigger and taller is a biological advantage and been weaker, smaller and shorter is an disadvantage. My friend was a civilian contractor working with the police force before and frequently need to go on ride along with cops, he say, unless there is a need to deal with the situation right now, female cops always call for backup, when there is a dangerous situation, unless there is a need to deal with the situation ASAP (unless she is a very experienced cop). Male cops go right in. And when the bad guy is big and masculine, male cops call for backup, unless there is a need to deal with it right now (unless he is a very experienced cop), when coming across huge and masculine male criminals, female cops wait for backup regardless of how urgent the situation is (unless she is a very experienced cop)

I got a black belt in martial arts, I can tell u, an average black belt can take on a guy on average is 2 times bigger, stronger and bigger then him, but any more then that, I will be way over my head, If I am more then just a black belt, but a master, I might be able to take on a guy five or six time larger and bigger then me, but, even a master, if he is to take on a guy more then 6 times larger, stronger then him, he would be way over his head, unless he is a grand master. People with more then one black belt would probably perform better then people that only got one black belt, such as me, but there are still limitations. I don't mind seen female warriors, but when there is a team, it is only nature, there are going to be more male warriors then female warriors,

Men are physically strong than women in many ways. But, I don't think it would influence movies like the Ocean franchise.  Alien, which was mentioned in this thread, does show a woman being physically and mentally strong than the men in the movie.  M

What does this have to do with movies? What a strange little tangent...

True. But, I see what peter565 is trying to say, though it has nothing to do with the question.

8. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

I'll make my answer short and sweet. If there are no handsome, male hunks in an action movie, then I am not interested. Paying $20 to see middle-aged women trying to behave like James Bond or some other male action figure sounds about as exciting as watching a caterpillar cross the sidewalk. No offence to those beautiful and talented women, but 'No thank you.' I will pass.

I am inclined to agree, but rather see some good old-fashion, talented acting with a good looking, yummy actor.

9. Robert Sacchi profile image85
    Robert Sacchiposted 7 years ago

I am conflicted about this.  Remakes, sequels, and reboots are a reality in movie making.  Having a movie remade with the main characters' genders changed it an opportunity to give a new spin on a familiar story.  The problem is it is done often and often these attempts make a mess of the genre.

I agree though I have enjoyed remakes like Mission Impossible and the recent Star Wars prequel/sequel sans Lucus-directed movies.

10. Ken Burgess profile image76
    Ken Burgessposted 7 years ago

Recently I asked my son and his friend, as we were driving in my truck, if they wanted to go see the new Wonder Woman movie coming out (I thought it was coming out, only later found out that it isn't until June)...

Now they are both 10-11 years old, so they did not come up in "my" generation where men were always the heroes, role models, and authority figures, and women rarely were given that type of role.

My son's friend said (trying to quote his exact words): "Why would we want to see that, she has the same powers as Super Man... only she's a girl."

Of course his words alone, don't convey the inflection or tone of his voice... but it was similar to what you would expect if I had asked them do they want to go to the dentist and have their teeth cleaned... that they didn't want to see it was clear.

As for Ocean 8... I wouldn't watch it... not just because its too recently done with top notch actors (unlike Ghostbusters which had been produced 30 years ago)... but because I learned from going to see Ghostbusters that I don't identify with anyone in a movie that stars an ALL woman cast, and would never subject myself (or my kids) to that type of 'OMG when is this garbage going to be over' type of movie experience again.

But that's me... if they can drum up a big enough audience that will spend money to see a re-do of a relatively recent series of movies, starring women instead of men, more power to them.

I like your answer and it makes sense. I never went to see the woman cast of Ghostbusters because I like the originals and think they don't need to be remade, perfect as perfect can be. Wonder Woman is a different superhero from Marvel or DC. You can

You saw one movie with a female cast & came to the conclusion that you can't identify? Maybe it was the movie itself rather than the fact that it starred females?

Women have been watching, enjoying, & indentifying w/ male casts for a long

3. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Aime ... Its simple, I never watch 'Golden Girls' or 'designing women'  I don't identify with their issues, their interests, and it is clear that all-girl women movies are pretty much the same, I am not interested in them.  Lesson Learned.

11. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 7 years ago

I don't think it's a bad idea. IF, the remakes don't over politicized the feminist aspect.

And I'm not being a pig. I support gender equality. But only when it's not antagonistic and confrontational.

If it helps the story and keeps it entertaining and believable, then I am all for it. But, that is not always the case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)