jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Does music open a door to higher consciousness?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 13 months ago

Does music open a door to higher consciousness?

There are many meanings for consciousness as seen with religion, philosophy, and science. We each have our own meaning too. The dictionary says it is a state of being awake. Awake to what could be asked. If that is consciousness what is higher consciousness and does or can music lead to that state?

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 12 months ago

When singing, it sometimes feels spiritual.
    I have no idea what a "higher consciousness" is.
    Music can filter through the language center of the brain. Becoming a good musician is like learning a new language.

3. shanmarie profile image79
    shanmarieposted 12 months ago

There are several parts to your question, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm answering all of the various parts. But -- your question immediately made me think of dementia patients. If speaking about consciousness as something cognitive, research seems to suggest that music most definitely can lead to higher consciousness even if it is only a temporary reprieve. I've heard stories firsthand from caregivers who have let Alzheimer's patients and patients with other types of dementia listen to music. For some reason, music has a visible effect on those patients. it's like it wakes up something in their brains for lack of better words at the moment to describe what I am thinking. Perhaps these people are awakened to themselves or their own memories. At the very least, there is something powerful about music so that it can influence mood and emotion. Even if the real correlation between music and these patients is a mood enhancement, that's still something pretty powerful.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for that information about people with dementia!

working