Deep Thinking

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (170 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13501477_f520.jpg
    Is there........DEATH?   What is.........DEATH?

1. profile image59
      whytemichaelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Death happens when there is no longer life in the flesh. This is when everything of the flesh shuts down from the brain to the heart and everything else.

2. lovetherain profile image82
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Death is the collapse of your morphic field.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Morphic Fields: A Summary

The hypothesized properties of morphic fields at all levels of complexity can be summarized as follows:

1. ​They are self-organizing wholes.

2. ​They have both a spatial and a temporal aspect, and organize spatio-temporal patterns of vibratory or rhythmic activity.

3. ​They attract the systems under their influence towards characteristic forms and patterns of activity, whose coming-into-being they organize and whose integrity they maintain. The ends or goals towards which morphic fields attract the systems under their influence are called attractors. The pathways by which systems usually reach these attractors are called chreodes.

4. ​They interrelate and co-ordinate the morphic units or holons that lie within them, which in turn are wholes organized by morphic fields. Morphic fields contain other morphic fields within them in a nested hierarchy or holarchy.

5. ​They are structures of probability, and their organizing activity is probabilistic.

6. They contain a built-in memory given by self-resonance with a morphic unit's own past and by morphic resonance with all previous similar systems. This memory is cumulative. The more often particular patterns of activity are repeated, the more habitual they tend to become."

FROM  http://www.sheldrake.org/research/morph … troduction

Thanks, lovetherain!

1. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

....and that's putting it simply!  Thank you Kathryn.  That's something I have always wanted to know.  Even J K Rowling could not have explained it better.

… exciting, isn't it?

1. profile image0

Rupert's mind is obviously open enough that it can question, propose, listen, visualize, ..... and  find excitement in the "what if..?.."   
              I like it!

"I propose that memory is inherent in nature. Most of the so-called laws of nature are more like habits.

My interest in evolutionary habits arose when I was engaged in research in developmental biology, and was reinforced by reading Charles Darwin, for whom the habits of organisms were of central importance. As Francis Huxley has pointed out, Darwin's most famous book could more appropriately have been entitled The Origin of Habits.

Morphic fields in biology

Over the course of fifteen years of research on plant development, I came to the conclusion that for understanding the development of plants, their morphogenesis, genes and gene products are not enough. Morphogenesis also depends on organizing fields. The same arguments apply to the development of animals. Since the 1920s many developmental biologists have proposed that biological organization depends on fields, variously called biological fields, or developmental fields,
                or positional fields, or  m o r p h o g e n e t i c   f i e l d s."

Why do you like it?  The concept of "organizing fields" sounds like G O D yikes!!!!

morphogenesis
                1 Biology: the origin and development of morphological characteristics.

morphological
                the study of the forms of things
                and yet:

Habits are behavioral!

"fields" are what?

3. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's a great question for a deep thinker.  Take out the obvious - the rotting of the physical body to the point of complete loss of consciousness.  To the normal muggle, this is death.

Death to a self-aware spiritual seeker wouldn't exist.  The loss of self-awareness or consciousness would be a form of death.  The passing from the physical into a non-physical realm does not need to be called death, but a transition.  The age old question of "What is Consciousness" which is still not answerable to the mind of science, comes up time and time again.  And the answer to your question could be placed in the same realm as this.  To an adept spiritual seeker, death would align to a complete loss of consciousness.

"To an adept spiritual seeker, death would align to a complete loss of consciousness." … permanently.  Isn't that a scary thought?

1. profile image0

How much spiritual thinking and religious pursuit is directed by "scary thoughts?"

Does this not lead to convenient acceptance of the mysterious and beliefs; which are perfectly adequate to settle the mind of a believer, yet not adequate for the mind of a skeptic?

Get real, JLC! Do you mind the thought of slipping into permanent non-consciousness … ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxwzjLkb8e0

1. profile image0

Hah, I don't mind it at all.  Totally resigned to it.

gross.

1. profile image0

But look, I am contemplating a totally serene non-existence.  Everyone that I have ever fallen out with (even those here in HP!) will be gone.  No more arguments.  No more putting up with ridicule, trying to get out of embarrassing bloopers that I've made.
                  All those things I've said or done in my early years that are beyond the pale, bad,  make-you-cringe memories, they are gone, all forgotten about - I am the only one who knows about them. 
                  But then to meet up with those souls and have to live with my mistakes for eternity?  No way!  I'll take a wager on no heaven, no hell, thanks.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
                    Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Has it ever occurred to you that once you move into a state where you understand eternity that all of that stuff will be so trivial that no one will even think about it? Although, I'm with you. If yours were the scenario people had to look forward to I'd want to opt out.

2. Jewels profile image81

Circular rational or logical discussions will ensue for lifetimes when a person has no personal knowledge.  Experience is what gives knowledge to the broadening of consciousness and a sceptic is one who is missing the experience.  If you've not had the experience, you're looking in the wrong place.

1. profile image0

What do you mean?  Are you presuming that I lack personal knowledge and experience compared with yourself?  Please explain so that I don't walk away with a false impression.

By the way, the primary question at the start of this thread:  what is death?   On the basis of most replies so far, it seems:  "whatever you imagine it to be."
              From my perspective: "entering the state of nothingness."

1. Jewels profile image81

One can go into an experience of alternative broadened states of consciousness, without drugs, and retain consciousness, retain awareness.  This state is to be experienced and it is possible to be experienced.  There is no imagination in these states.  But for me to tell someone that this is possible means absolutely nothing, unless it is experienced by the questioner.
                Even in the state of nothingness, there is something.  It's like closing the eyes and seeing black and assuming it is nothing.  It is not nothing - so has 'death' occurred in the broader context of consciousness, as I originally stated.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your reply.
                  Where you state: "Even in the state of nothingness, there is something.  It's like closing the eyes and seeing black and assuming it is nothing" as a fact, would you be comfortable in saying "I believe that even in the state of nothingness, --- " etc.? 
                  From my own experience in meditation, one can seem to lose all sensory connection with the physical world. This is not "nothingness."   
                  When truely asleep, or in a state of general anaesthetic, this is when we have no sensory input or memory of the happenings while in that state.
                  Death will be an indefinite extension of that state.  You will have no memory to say you entered that state or came out of it....ever.  That is true lack of consciousness, I suggest.

1. Jewels profile image81

I don't like using the term believe, mainly because it's loaded.  Experience is something I've learned to use in meditation spaces because one state transitions into another.  In the space of blackness, or nothingness, there is still a flavor to it.  Even when you lose sensory connection, you are still conscious of what is happening.  You are not using your normal senses, but nonetheless there is an attainment of the experience that, after coming out of the state, you can recognize it's flavor.  When mapping states of consciousness one has to find a new language.  The rational mind can be useless when these experiences happen - and in most cases it gets in the way.  You would have experienced the limitations of the mind when transitioning from ordinary consciousness into states of bliss and beyond.  Astral Travelling, for the adept, is a practice for death and that practice is to retain consciousness from one state (the waking state, to a sleeping state, but retaining consciousness in that sleeping state.)   Interestingly, the physical body is quite regenerated after the experience of A.T. because consciousness has moved out of it and the physical body rests.   At death the sleeping state is permanent.  My experience is that consciousness is not just a bodily function. 
                    Transitioning is a fair term because there is a movement from one state to another, to another.  There is a clear difference and these difference are tangible and memorable.  But subtle, very subtle.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

Death is the act of ceasing to exist on the physical plane.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Death is the condition of ceasing to function in the living state.  The body that has lived still may exist physically for a limited short time until it ultimately breaks down into more basic physical forms, as a result of it lacking life processes.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Does that mean lack of brain activity or lack of any cellular activity?  Bodies can live for months with a little help but the person that used to animate it is long gone.

1. profile image0

I understand your question and what can sometimes be a matter for disagreement.  When having to make a decision for my mother, who lay in a terminal coma from irreparable brain damage, I was aware that the person of my mother could never again communicate with me, accept via my memory or what she had written. (Or via memories invoked by the Christmas dinner she had already prepared for us).
          Making that decision to allow the turning off of life support was governed primarily by emotions, because there was still life in her body.  In other words, cells were still able to function biologically with oxygen and nutrients supplied.
          However, that is totally different from a body which is in fact "dead."  I am very aware of that difference, from numerous experiences in the course of my work over 45 years. 
          The actual moment of death is probably only definable according to the complete absence of brain activity, IMHO

I didn't mean to disagree, and in fact fully agree with what you're saying.  It's almost as if the body is just a tool, a machine used by the person to get around and provide sustenance.  Just asking for discussion's sake.

But many will not agree with us.  Either in the body being an accessory or in the person being in the brain.  It's an interesting subject, I think, and although 100% of available information is that the brain houses or is the person, a great many will disagree.

1. profile image0

Another point of view:  "the person is the entire entity of what we can relate to...... the body, the brain, the mannerisms, shared memories, etc.  But we know for sure that there can be no communication without adequate brain function.
              Not more from me now...about to hit the road at 6.30am.

Ugh.  Better you than me (hitting the road).  Have a safe trip!

1. profile image0

Haha...soft landing, 2hrs and 70miles later and brain still in good humour

2. profile image0

It is sad that this thread has come to an end.  Did I get too serious?  Is the subject matter too deep for most people?  Or is it a naturally dead-end discussion?  (Pardon the pun, but you know what I mean)

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The thread is.....ALIVE.   Death is merely a transition of consciousness from the material to the immaterial or supernatural.   Some would say a higher consciousness.  There are a few who will interject that some people will transition to a.....LOWER consciousness.  Continue the discussion.  This thread ISN'T dead by a long shot-CONTINUE.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Death is a peaceful sleep for most people, but I believe you can cause your own hell by bringing unresolved feelings of remorse, regret or hatred into the astral plane. I believe we can make up for wrong actions with determination to live better lives the next time around. For instance, I have heard that Abraham Lincoln was King Herod in his last life.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Can you explain more about regression? How would it work … with examples.

What I mean is when if a good person dies, h/she progresses into a higher spiritual form of consciousness.  Old time religionists would call such a higher form of consciousness heaven   If an evil person dies, h/she regresses into a lower spiritual form of consciousness.  Old time religionists would call such a lower form of consciousness hell.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12758113.jpg

Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, its not that straight forward …(as the girl is standing straight forward.)
        at all.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Lets say Trump, in his next life, is dirt poor and doesn't have the advantages he has now. He won't necessarily regress, but his circumstances will be different so that he can learn true sympathy and empathy. I don't believe his consciousness will regress, just be in a position to experience a different perspective so that he can continue to evolve.

That is true.   According to the theory of reincarnation, what we condemn, WE BECOME to learn lessons of compassion & empathy.

Yes. If you are prejuciced against any race or culture, you could be born into that race or culture.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Its amazing to realize that even though we we are destined to die, our death is the last thing we think about.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It can be healthy not to get too attached to your race and culture, Considering Religion is a culture . To enable you or I  to be able give out your love unconditionally and treat the world as your family. Maybe Adam/ Eve & JESUS were BLACK.
      Wouldn't that beat all and hell with that picture of Blond, blue eye Jesus on the wall.

Jesus was from the Middle East and did not have blue eyes. He had dark hair and dark eyes. I wonder how he was able to resurrect his body after he died. That IS very God-like, isn't it?

1. profile image0

So Kathryn, Castle, that Godliness, and the Human-ness, represent that which each of us desires to see?

Raising from the dead is a  extreme phenomena, yet,  not unheard of. A few times in the bible it was mentioned. Also throughout. Human history, many have sacrificed for their people and families. A few have fooled us into thinking they we dead.

The new Pope believes in evolution, the big bang theory and Aliens will be our saviour. I have not meet enough intelligence life on this planet. I just hope the Aliens could save us from the bankers,  that be the best phenomena yet.

1. profile image0

Thanks for this early-morning laugh.

lol

From the Bible who risen a dozen from the dead .  Like a few, were Nain’s & Shunammite  their sons, Jairus’ daughter, Elisha, & Lazarus &.Jesus. Jesus, Yahweh son a questionable birth and death there. A few have fooled us about death. I have an uncle that has been dying for the pass 40 years. Good thing I don’t take life or death too seriously.

The Pope is from the wealthiest country in the world, the bankers and him should smooth things out. Too bad for the rest of us, don't belong to the same Club. The same Club that they keeping beating us up with every day.

1. profile image0

Since this Forum addresses Death, it could be viewed in the perspective of other aspects of psychology that seek to control us:

First, we have this subject, Death.  The fear of it does not need to be planted;  it's already there in most of our brains.  To control us, all anyone needs to do is enhance that fear, for whatever reason....
                  Next is Hunger (and with it, Thirst). The  latter will drive us crazy if unquenched for an extended period.  So, what and how much is allowed to enter our stomachs; this also an area whereby we can be subject to control.
                  Thirdly, Sex.  The fear of punishment for exceeding the limits of enjoyment knows no limits.  God, who endowed us with this wonderous gift in the first place, was so in fear of its misuse, that he could not even allow it to be used in the manufacture of his own son!

roll

7. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

People love to put off the inevitable until .....the LAST MINUTE.  Death is still a distasteful subject to many.

8. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 7 years ago

Yes, us men are pigs, that is why we own everything. Is God a pig?

1. profile image0

Apparently our human bodies and those of pigs are very similar, biologically.  At least, as far as I understand it.

My favourite area of research is compost.  This is inseparably concerned with cyclic life and subsequent death. 

Inorganic chemicals come together; catalysts (and the biological ones, enzymes), allow those chemicals to join and transform into a great variety of combinations that in turn allow the process of life.  Life begins, proceeds, terminates.  Energy emerges from moment of need.  Energy instigates, enables, moves, changes, stops, starts, stops, starts, ad infinitum.  The Tapestry of Life is manifest.  Sometimes pretty. Sometimes ugly.  Sometimes pure nectar, other times rank poison.  Yet always changing to produce food for the next Life manifest in sequence. 

Macrophage eats virus. Worm eats macrophage.  Bird eats worm.  Mammal eats bird.  They all excrete what they have no further need for.  Others devour excreta.  Excretum becomes recycled food for countless plants and fungi and insects...on and on and on in the continuum of infinite existence and happenings.  The compost heap itself being like a living organism, structured, stratified and a microcosm of Life and Death.  Not dissimilar to the workings within our gut.  We are that close to Life And Death, every moment.  Just be conscious of it!

2. profile image0

From another point of view:  are pigs God?

Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL. If they are then God is rather tasty and unlucky; from a place on the food chain angle.

Maybe cats own people, maybe smarter than us, Cats don't have to work like a dog. They just sleep for 16 hours get feed, we scoop their poop like a VIP and we massage them. Maybe God is useless as a cat and all God wants from us is to worship him.

Nobody has found been to this spiritual world call Heaven and come back. Some claim it is a mansion in the sky, for extremely happy people. Sounds like a funny farm to me. MOOO haah mooo haa haaa I'M HAPPY!! HAPPY!!! HAPPY!!

9. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 7 years ago

All of this banter about death and yet...no one has Ever returned...just stories and theories and what's been handed down from less informed people through out history.The question no one seems to address is 'cohesion' after death...dose it exist?Are we still self aware?Without self awareness it doesn't matter what else exists..."If a tree falls etc". The only Real answer to the question of death is the same one that's always been...we'll know when we get there...or not

10. limpet profile image60
    limpetposted 7 years ago

You have to have some hope that all will be revealed in due course. I've had too many encounters with fate to realise that this is all for nothing. Near death experiences, astral travel, synchronicity to name but a few.

1. profile image0

"You have to have......"   "I have had......"
      Your thought processes must necessarily be taken up by others?
      You are fully entitled to your personal beliefs.  As I am to mine.

11. profile image0
    theonlypresenceisposted 7 years ago

As far as Truth is concerned, there isn't any death. The only true death is the mystical dying of the personal self. The truth of existence is that only God is and nothing else exist but the fullness and presence of God, Spirit, or Consciousness as our entire universe.
    What we refer to as someone died is our memory of the physical person that  left our awareness but the real being which is God never dies. God, Spirit or Consciousness is eternal and forever being the entire infinitude.
    Our individual self, mind, body, world and universe is God and is forever being the fullness of God. We only need to rise in conscious awareness of God as what we are and what our universe really is.
    It is only in seeking the truth of our being that our awareness becomes spiritual and the wisdom of the heaven and earth is revealed to us. Then the truth of what life, death, mind, body and universe is will be known.

This guy is ban.

Maybe for trying to blend Truth, Nature, Fairy-tales with the Bible.

1. profile image0

Strangely, that pseudonym "theonlypresence is" popped into this thread of discussion, just for a moment, and then went back into oblivion.  Yet what was written is not far from what I personally understand, at this point in time.  What it conveys, for me, is description of really beyond the human limitations of time, space and accepted metaphors.
        We tend only to see things in terms of metaphor and analogy which fit in with our life experience, then call our vision reality....and since individual vision/reality is unique, then there can be no absolute common ground of understanding.
        Thus, before anyone gets tempted to say that jcl's point of view is erroneous, just remember his view of the mountain is unique also.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

The tyrannical aspects of psychology. How to overcome them:
    Calmness.
    Calmness can also help us overcome death, strangely enough.

Being King or Queen of your own domain is another. Fear is a matter of the unknowns. Give it work, love and time. Then your calmness deals with every problems that will brings happiness and conquers worries.

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

1. "Be King or Queen of your own domain."
    2. "Fear is a matter of the unknown. Give it (fear of the unknown) work, love and time."
    3. "Your calmness will help you deal with every problem, conquer worries and bring happiness."

Thanks, Cp  smile

1. profile image0

I am never too old to......

smile

Castlepalomaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As long as your working and loving you won't grow old. Age is a not a number, your as old as you feel. Fu*k those multi media advertisers and their myths..

1. profile image0

....too old to listen, and consider, and learn a-new, and - maybe - even change my mind.  This is the a-theist mind, willing to open up to infinite possibilities.  This is how the theist mind needs to be also:  open to the infinite possibilities, way, way beyond the constricting dogmata of our religious learnings.
          Otherwise you corrupt the infinity of that God, whom you claim to worship, into a finite caricature of the human mind....and a waste of time even thinking about, surely?

14. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 6 years ago

Death is the universe's big immovable  existential question to all sentient beings.
    This existential dilemma has created all philosophy and science and all religion.
    Hence death has ironically given us positives such as knowledge, culture and enquiry.
    Don't knock the big sleep.
    Many but not all atheists pretend there is no existential dilemma and choose to ignore all of human histories cultural and religious striving.
    This is sometimes called "being dead from the neck up" ; or as a great spiritual teacher once said "let the dead bury the dead" meaning there is a living death of ignorance to those who ignore the main existential question of life. It is often referred to as a living death in many other cultures. Death in indigenous cultures is often seen as a teacher to the living which focuses things into their proper perspective.
    There is a living death only to the spiritually blind which indicates their crass ignorance to the universe's greatest question. Such people never really get to live in the fullest sense.

I have question atheist on atheist forums. Why is your forum filled with mostly Religion topics. Also why do Atheist have the most worldly Religious knowledge than any other group of people. Even US Government made Atheists'  a religion. Some of that ancient spirituality plus the real spiritually reality of the 99% unknowns will rub off on atheist mentality. Although they would lack the practice .

A strict religious person would put their head in the sand more so about other religions, science and other non religious groups. Einstein said science is lame and Religion is blind. Would it not be better to served these answer, somewhere on middle grounds.

Like Donald Trump, why don't atheist ignore Religion for more part, so they loose their powers of being over advertised.

I must study some Religions for my stand-up comedy act. Also  comedian can give the best news over fake new and Trump's BS.  Trump has this serious disability of not knowing anything. He will excess Bush (he tried) as the dumbest President in American history. We the people, better get our act together as the politician keep getting worse and the billionaires keep getting greedier.

I would argue about the statement that atheists have more religious knowledge. Example. I'm taking a course at the moment. I am at the top of my class. That does not imply that I have any amount of knowledge more than any other person in the class. Nor does it imply I have the faintest idea what I am talking about. I understand the terms. I am able to use them in sentences. I have not applied this knowledge. I don't have hands on experience.

Which is one problem I have with atheists. They have perfunctory knowledge. They have a tendency to belittle a believer simply because they don't agree with what the atheist thinks a believer is supposed to believe. It's childish and, to be quite frank, so shallow that the only reason anyone engages is because it would be rude not to.

wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that's because the atheist must make assumptions to hold any kind of intelligent discourse because believers all seem to hold to a different belief. 

For example, most "believers" seem to think they will live forever, but whether that "life" will be in the body of an animal, on Kolob, in Purgatory, in heaven or hell or even Valhalla depends on who is speaking.  No agreement is available on just how to get there, what it is like when there or pretty much of anything else.  The creatures there vary as well, from Satan to demons to virgins or any of a multitude of other entities.

It isn't a given within one religion or even one sect of a particular religion.  All very confusing - just when the poor atheist thinks they have a handle on it, it changes.

Why does the atheist care what others believe?  I know, I know what you'll say. Because of what religion does in the world. To which I will reply that it isn't religion as much as politics. I'll counter with  we have seen what atheist regimes have done to the world. You will, of course, maintain that wasn't atheism but politics.

I think it is important to note that atheism is only a lack of theism. Many atheists hold different beliefs as to what the time after mortal time entails. But, you won't see me complaining that they don't all agree. No one is supposed to agree, by my mind. So, it seems that your view of theists is little more than posturing to hide the fact that differences of opinion are common within both beliefs.

Define atheist- a lack of belief in God.
              Which you really have is varies degrees of agnostic. No-one can be 100% atheist, a person who knows God dose not exist because 99% of the earth is unknown. So each of us have very little knowledge and capabilities to know God existence.

The burden  of proof is on the believer or he/she maybe experiencing a form of insanity such in wars, sex and the natural environment disabilities.

Better answers is in the middle.  As the proof as examples. Are in most of the greatest  accomplished achievers and wisest person's through out mankind's history.

I agree. Conversely, the simple definition of a theist is one who believes a god exists. And, then you have various degrees of theism. A theist agrees that 99% of the universe is unknown. They simply believe there is a higher power.

I've always held that theism which aligns with any particular belief structure is about an ounce of truth wrapped within 15 ounces of bs. The same holds true for any so called non belief structure. As you said 99% of the universe is unknown. To lay claim to any final conclusion is taking belief and running with it.

2. wilderness profile image95

"Why does the atheist care what others believe?"

Personally, because I'm interested in how people think, and to a lesser degree in what they think.  But I can't recall ever starting a conversation on religion - that seems to always fall to the believer.
              "I don't think gays should be allowed to marry."
              "Why not"
              "Because I think my god said it's a sin".
              "You think your god made them homosexual, but it is a sin to be that way?"  (here we have the assumption that the believer thinks their god made people)
              and so on. 

Differences: most atheists will agree that we evolved over millions of years.  But theists?  There seems to be about as many opinions as there are people, with the result that when the atheists assumes a popular belief from their past discussions it is usually wrong.  Even when the assumption comes from the believer's own sacred writings it is wrong.

Makes it all difficult to respond intelligently when the topic arises.

3. profile image0

Why should the evangelist care that the atheist does not "believe?"
              In my opinion, it's the presumption on the part of "believers" that they have knowledge which is factual and superior to that of the atheist. It's  the need to get the atheist's mind and life changed around, in order to conform....this is what I am rejecting.  That desire to influence me with their own beliefs and fears, trying to control me. 
              I am not trying to implant my "non-belief" in them.  So what are they afraid of?
              If politics were directed at defending peoples from the excesses of religious fervour, then I can fully understand why.

I think why atheist world religious knowledge is the greatest of all groups. Is their need to defend themselves from almost all religious people.

Sometime religious discussion get so tiring and crazy. I wish they were right about gravity and have them float away into the shy then be lost into space.

1. profile image0

Just make sure they pay for their ticket in advance .... and take an impression of their credit card.  Don't want unpaid bills left behind.  God wants his house up there kept in order.

I don't know that I have ever pushed my beliefs on anyone. But, I am not offended by others believing it is their purpose to do so. I ignore it. End of story.  If you chose to feel pushed, that is a choice you make.

Let's be honest here. Shall we? If you were honestly interested in intelligent discourse you wouldn't insist that believers believe the same thing. Across the board. And, you have been known to do that quite frequently. I don't see the atheist as attempting to hold an intelligent discourse. For the most part when they engage they are pushing their belief just as strongly as a believer attempting to gain converts.

Most atheists don't believe in a higher power, such as a god, but whether that involves non existence, some form of existence or some form of awareness varies from atheist to atheist. I don't find that confusing at all. Which makes me wonder why atheists always claim to be confused. Are they simply unwilling to allow others their own ideas on existence outside of this physical plane? Are their's the only ideas of value? Sounds like the same traits they grumble about with believers.

There is a huge difference in what people think and how they think.  What induces them to believe, in other words.  And it is primarily that which I'm interested in - if the reasoning is correct then perhaps I need to believe, too.  If it is based solely on a desire to live forever, or on having a father figure watching over us and giving us gifts, I'm not so interested.

When a belief is required (gay's should not marry because God said so or we should not imbibe alcohol or not dress "wrong" because God said so) then yes, I'm unwilling to allow the belief to affect the lives of others and am not backwards about saying so.  Believing on existence outside of all our experience is fine...so long as others are not required to hold the same belief.  And, I might add, so long as it is not shoved in the face of others - how many billboards have you seen declaring that there is no god, as opposed to how many declare there IS a god?  How many icons of atheistic belief do we see as we drive along as opposed to how many icons of theistic belief (in the US, crosses, Jesus statues, ten commandments monuments, etc.)? 

Confusion - when a theist tells me the bible is the word of god, true in every particular, then refuses to accept portions of it as true, I'm confused.   When two members of the same religion or church hold differing beliefs, both based on the same information, I'm confused.  And the atheist acknowledgement that they don't know is an "idea of value" - that, too, is confusing.   

(If you go back and carefully read my posts you will find that the "attack" you say is there is very nearly always on the reasoning presented, not on the conclusion.  The big exception is when a belief is presented as factual, whereupon I have a tendency to present other, opposing beliefs as fact as well.  "If you can make things up, so can I and they are just as valid as yours" in other words.)

'If the reasoning is correct.'

That's funny. How can the reasoning be correct? If you are speaking of the metaphysical there is no way to rationalize your way to that position. There is no physical proof a person could offer. There is no empirical evidence. So, you are playing a shell game with that one.

I agree that no one should feel they have the right to 'shove' belief at another. I suppose there is a difference of opinion on the meaning of that term. I have witnessed atheists 'shoving' their opinions where they were not solicited or wanted. But, I doubt you would agree with me on that.

As to billboards and such. I doubt anyone would grumble at atheists paying for billboard space to push their beliefs. I doubt that the company's which own the advertising space would turn down a paying customer. So, the lack of billboards might simply be a sign of not enough people caring enough about their cause to pool their money together. Freedom of speech is a precious thing. I'm not going to begrudge people exercising their rights.

As to your confusion on what a believer thinks concerning the Bible. You have attempted, on more than one occasion, to insist that I had to believe what you thought I should. Your desire to believe I should believe what you want me to does not a mandate make. I would think that holds true for anyone of faith, or lack thereof. If you continue to be confused you might try approaching the conundrum from a different angle, or give up.

1. Oztinato profile image75
                  Oztinatoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Also atheism is implied in thousands of billboards advertising say blood sports or rampant gambling or any highly aggressive sport or porn or excessive alcohol consumption etc etc.
                  It's also terminally hypocritical for atheists to support the Reverend Donald who  corruptly politically supports backwoods fundamentalists while at the same time criticizing religion (such as a certain unmentionable obsessive hubber does every day on hp). If the shoe fits...wear it. We all know.

"Also atheism is implied in thousands of billboards advertising say blood sports or rampant gambling or any highly aggressive sport or porn or excessive alcohol consumption etc etc."

Presuming you mean that a billboard advertising gambling implies that (rampant) gambling is all right, can you elucidate how that also implies a lack of belief in a deity?  Are you assuming that all theists proclaim that it is wrong, even as they gamble in their house of worship?

2. wilderness profile image95

How can reasoning be correct?

"People believe for thousands of years, so it must be true"
                  "Lots of people believe, so it has to be true".
                  "I don't want to die, so it has to be true".
                  "I'm ignorant of what happened, so Goddunnit".

All examples of faulty reasoning - whether it is about the supernatural or why the car won't start it is still faulty.  If evidence cannot be found then belief is premature and conclusions are based solely on desire, not fact.

"So, the lack of billboards might simply be a sign of not enough people caring enough about their cause to pool their money together. "

What "cause"?  Atheists have no "cause" to promote in the field of theology or metaphysics.  But the statement gives pause; what is the "cause" of the billboard advertisers?  To convince others that a belief is fact?  Something they, too, should believe? 

Confusion - I don't think I've tried to convince you of anything.  Except perhaps to accept facts as they are instead of forming conclusions contrary to those facts.  I don't recall you quoting scripture as fact, or giving opinion as factual, so even that is questionable.

You have, on occasion, insisted that I should be expected to take the Bible as some written in stone factual account. You have, on occasion, insisted that I should live by Mosaic law.

As to the billboards. A 'this is what we believe' statement is not tantamount to an insistence that you join in that belief. An invitation to church is not an insistence that you do so. Unless, being invited out to lunch with someone is an offense. Since they must be insisting that you do it. Do you feel pressured to do anything anyone asks you to?

And, one thought on your list of faulty reasoning. I don't know that I have ever heard anyone put forth those statements as their reason to believe.

2. Oztinato profile image75
        Oztinatoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not sure what you mean but I do agree the Reverend Donald is rapidly sinking into a state of dementia that makes Bush and Reagan look like geniuses. The people defending him must be on their own dementia rumba train.

15. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago

I have been to 6 war zones in my travels. Never saw anyone motivated by atheism to kill. Many non religious countries are on the top of the happiest countries listed.

It is not the amount of millions of innocent lives that the US killed that matters. It is the Tyranny control and fear of anticipation of the big bang of a gun or bigger gun or a bomb  that case poverty Worldwide in which by far kills most.  I seen the horror that man does to man.  I watch plenty of films on Christians put Muslims in camps and starving them to death.  Plus murdering the men and little boys. As far as terrorism goes Muslims suffer the most of the top two Religions.  Very few  crazy lunatic who has the Quran all wrong goes shooting and blowing himself up or its a drone that is made in the US killing innocent people (and making more people pissed off at the US).  From traveling most of the Muslim countries, the conditions for some of these Muslim countries before and after are the strong case for Hell on earth.

North Korea is just a sidetrack to what they are really going to do in the Middle East.
    The problem is you sit there eating you hamburger and coke not realizing what the world is like.  Its too easy to blame a black man or a Muslim man for your troubles.  US have very little to fear from the outside yet much of the world fears Israel and US. The occasional nut job that shoots people here in the US.  Is terrorism a bad thing , a bit of a problem yet there are 100s of greater problems to work out. But blaming Muslims for all our troubles is just stupid. Or blaming atheist for spiritual problems, they are there to keep you in your condescending over ego in check and advance the world in Science, thank dog for that.  Atheist could have more room for improvement in their open minds towards spiritual sided advancement also.

It’s not us verse them; this world is my family leave them and their kids alone. Or we will become all bricks in the wall. It’s not just the Government that sucks, the public can suck too.

16. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 6 years ago

This is the best and simplest explanation of Atheism I've heard so far;It's by Ricky Gervaise

Person A: I believe in God.(they are now a theist)
    Person B: Can you prove it?
    Person A: No
    Person B: Then I don't believe you (they are now an atheist)

A true atheist doesn't have a belief system;It's a simple statement of non belief...any other embellishment is on the individual.
    Thought I'd throw this in for all you big brains who call atheism a 'religion' lol

Define belief
      A trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
      "a belief in democratic politics"
      synonyms:faith, trust, reliance, confidence, credence
      "belief in the value of hard work"

Belief is when I get a hint of something of an idea or growth towards a knowing. Got dumped by 3 Christian girlfriends because could not be saved and was not on the same page. Getting to the page of Hell and at Universal truth and knowledge. It was time to close that book. There must be better good books out there with less hardships and know it all, sheep herders.

17. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

God's house is already in order. It's so great in heaven! No credit cards, no debts, no taxes, no marriages, spouses, offspring.  Just friends greeting each other ...
    with flowers in their hair.
    smile

1. profile image0

Haha, that leads me to further deep thought.

If what you have just described is Heaven, maybe the opposite would be Hell.....credit cards, debts, taxes, marriages, spouses, offspring.
      I think there's a place in most like that.  Are we barking up the wrong tree?... or looking down the wrong well?
      The process of Deep Thinking benefits from a few laughs.

well, there you go! Where do you think you are? Lol!
        Maybe death is nothing more than an escape from ...

18. profile image53
    Littlemisseyposted 6 years ago

Ever since my sweetheart died, big changes are happening ng to me,what does it mean

19. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

If the heart stops, the field stops and it is no longer apparent. But, what if the field just organizes itself beyond the body according to its invisible organization, as a continuation of the on-going organization of it's field …

Of course, there is only evidence of the "field" on earth while it manifests in life-forms.

Is it wrong of me to equate  f i e l d  with  f o r c e ?

as in, "May the   F i e l d   be with you?" big_smile

20. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Atheists want to have a valid reason to believe in God. So far, they don't have any evidence. Can't even one Christian, including Jesus, give them evidence? He really does need to get back here at some point. He has some explaining to do!

No one needs to give anyone evidence for anything. Does an atheist have to believe in a God? Of course not. Should a Christian badger someone about belief? Of course not. I've always seen badgering about belief (or non belief) as evidence that the person doesn't have full confidence in their opinion. They are looking for safety in numbers.

I do agree that it has been a very long time since Jesus walked the earth which is why I honestly don't think any deity would hold a lack of belief against anyone. My main problem is simply with people who don't bother to think. Who make foolish blanket statements about large groups of other human beings. Those types of people (as evidenced here in this thread where even you jump on the band wagon of illogical reasoning) are simply, in my opinion,victims of not being completely comfortable and confident in their conclusions. Badgering others on unanswerable cosmic questions means, to me, that the person badgering is unsure and worried about that fact.

I don't care what anyone thinks of the greater reality. The greater reality isn't the question of the moment. The question of the moment is how do we treat our fellow man

21. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Yes, God exists.

WHERE IS HE????

1. profile image0

I would repeat, again, the obviously (to me) true statement:  "God exists in the mind of the believer."
      That affirms your answer and answers the question.  But to clarify that, God can be He or he, She or she, It or Thou ......  taking on any identity or form that suits and satisfies the mind of the beholder.

Any expression which comes forth from that mind thus tells us about it's owner,  expressed in the guise of God.
      Understanding this allows me to put aside any argument as to the nature of God, because knowing more about the person becomes paramount.

The real question I need to ask myself:  "Do I want to know more about this person?"  Maybe. Maybe not.  It will depend on how much time I'm willing to put into the relationship; whether I find any attraction;  my level of patience; whether he/she is able/willing to reciprocate.

The limitations of this type of platform we use over the World Wide Web, are obvious:  visual only, (unless you the listener are eye-sight impaired and depend on technology-aided touch or hearing devices.  With great respect I welcome you.)  The mind's imagination inevitably comes into play.  Such limitation means I have very little knowledge of you.  So anything you tell me about yourself via any philosophy or beliefs that you hold, how easy is it for me to gain a totally false impression?

Personally, I am fortunate in having had a reasonable grounding in the written word.  What about the person who finds it very difficult to write clearly?  I can think of at least one very genuine person who often joins us here.   He puts great effort into expression yet is often misunderstood.

I will shut up now and let others speak. smile

Well, Spoken.

22. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

If someone gave me a choice: music or heaven, I would take music. Others would pick sex or food, or wine,
    or heroin.

1. profile image0

If there IS music in heaven, do they  call it Ski-Fi ?

:-D  if so, Ill go. There ARE a lot of musicians I am missing ... there now!
          http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/27/entertain … index.html

23. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

what would Jesus say to a heroin addict?

24. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

what could any Christian do for a heroin addict?

25. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

or even an alcoholic. sad

26. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

or what would Jesus say to those who love earth and don't want to go to heaven,
    at all.

27. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Christians: "If you are "good," you will go to heaven."

Me: "That's okay… I'm happy…
    here,

now."

28. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

And when I die. I won't be able to know anything,

at all.

29. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

So don't worry, be happy. There's your heaven.

30. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Most people are addicted to other people. What does Jesus say about that addiction?

31. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

And everyone is addicted to themselves.

32. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

How much does the typical Christian love God?

33. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

But of, course, everyone needs to allow the other to have their own beliefs. No one can convince anyone how to believe or what to believe except by how they live their lives.
    We do die. That we know.
    How much deeper can we go? Not much.

34. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"... Those types of people (as evidenced here in this thread where even you jump on the band wagon of illogical reasoning) are simply, in my opinion,victims of not being completely comfortable and confident in their conclusions. Badgering others on unanswerable cosmic questions means, to me, that the person badgering is unsure and worried about that fact."

"I don't care what anyone thinks of the greater reality. The greater reality isn't the question of the moment. The question of the moment is how do we treat our fellow manI wasn't badgering. What about those unanswerable cosmic questions?" Live to learn.

An atheist is at a point in his life when he is questioning religion in general. He is questioning blind belief, superstitious thinking and false indoctrinations. He is pondering the nature of reality while contemplating/considering reality-feedback within himself.

So what about asking "cosmic questions?' Is one not allowed to ask them, hoping someone, anyone can address them, without it being called badgering?

And yes, I have no (original) answers.

The truth is, an atheist may find reality quicker than blind believers of any religion.

Yes, I do think people should be free to ask cosmic questions without being badgered. That was part of my point for complaining about an atheist attempting to stuff me into a package they felt was convenient.

35. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago

There 43,000 different Christian denominations worldwide with debatable wrongs translations. From each of my last three girlfriends that dumped me because I could not be saved. I was not on the same page of universal truth and knowledge. Prefer the good book of Wizard of Oz, where the dog (god -backwards) pulled back the curtain to expose the man behind the curtain.

Is it Yahweh or the Hi-way. I don’t know much about the 99% unknown earth mass. Yet these women claim to know through an ancient book that’s holds the total universal truth and knowledge.

Why is religion so concern about our sex lives and war. I don"t interfer in their lives and their rap sheet shows more harm than good as a group ego. In an over ego  world.  I'll keep my perfect record of no harm, that will make God, really jealous.

Satan can't handle all the billions of Fornicator God sends to hell
    Save Satan or have all loving God turn hell into a hot nightclub. Why would God give the ultimate pleasure on earth (sex) then allows enteral torture.

Since the Pope cancelled hell, why not cancel out the whole book. Imagination is the only common thread everyone uses anyways. Lets at least make good sense out of our godlike imagination for the salvation of our own species. Kindness is what the World needs most, not more conflicting Religions.

36. aware profile image67
    awareposted 6 years ago

Dead is when something is forgotten.  When humans go extinct. We all are finally dead. Live a memorable life. Or die .

1. profile image0

In view of our shocking human effort at management, I suspect when that happens, this planet will give a sigh of relief and say, "Thank small-g god for that. Amen."

1. aware profile image67
        awareposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This planet doesn't even know we are here. Earth is a extinction machine. T rex who?

1. aware profile image67

Furthermore Earth is a God. It worships nothing

If the earth existence was measure in a year calendar. Dinosaurs would have been here for 3 months. Man for 10 minutes.
            If T Rex just had a better hand, he would of wrote that God was made in his image.

Proves that this earth is an over ego world. T Rex ranks hight but the immortal jellyfish beats him. Man is not even top ranked running in existence on the planet.

1. aware profile image67

Time? Year? Hour?  Uugh.  Earth wares no watch. Time is a ego. Mans.

1. aware profile image67

T rex over ate. It didn't pay mind to its resources.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Time does not measure up in the Bible, that is for sure. It is fun imagining events throughtout nature and human history.

1. aware profile image67

The what? The time is now . Always .That book you mention is part of the false reality we build.its paper

Since we haven't even gotten our heads wrapped around the whole concept of space and time I would say you are putting the cart before the horse with that critique.

The horse would relate to about 50 million years ago according to bio science. Human imagination came long before religion was thought of with a string along of their own fairytales to control people. At least religion is good comic material.

I perfered the good book of Wizard of Oz. When the dog (god backwards) exposed the man behind the curtain.

That anwsers more guestions than I get from pastors who anwser with. :You got to have faith: or my favior : How to make God laugh..answer ....Tell God your Plans.

3. wilderness profile image95

LOL  The earth is a clock!  You can tell time quite accurately from the position of the planets and solar system, going back millions of years.

1. aware profile image67

Its a vast universe.  Man and its Milky Way watch make me laugh. We say a Million years as if we live it. If we do find alien life first thing will try to do is tell it what time it is. They'll think stupid

I doubt it, for without time there is no motion.  No life, for that matter (atoms move and vibrate).  All that is needed is an understanding on how their (alien defined) time interval compares to our (human defined) time interval.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)