jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Do you always say "Thank you" when someone holds a door open for you or extends

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 22 months ago

Do you always say "Thank you" when someone holds a door open for you or extends a social courtesy?

I've seen people who  behave as if the door "magically opened" for them without acknowledging someone physically held it open for them. What are some of the reasons you believe why some people refuse to say "thank you"? Are chivalrous acts viewed as positive as they once were? If not is it because some women hate feeling forced or obligated to speak to men whom they'd rather not? 

2. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 22 months ago

I always say thank you Sir or ma'am, although women do not seem to hold the door as often. I have seen a feminist freak out and throw a fit, because a guy simply held the door open for her.

3. Annsalo profile image83
    Annsaloposted 22 months ago

Yes. There is only the rare moment when I don't, and those moments are usually the same ones where I pull my shirt down below my butt if I can.
    I live in the south. I have noticed it seems to be more common for people to hold doors than it is when I go up north.
    I've been to Ohio many times and people there never seemed to do it. I always wondered if it was a regional thing like people wave to stranger down here.
    I think most people appreciate the door being held open.

1. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 22 months agoin reply to this

I think its wonderful. I do this courtesy for all irrespective of age sex or race. And I enjoy it being done for me. Its just one of the little kindnesess that help to glue us together and make our day a little brighter. And I'm for that.

4. AshtonFirefly profile image78
    AshtonFireflyposted 22 months ago

If I hold the door open for someone and they refuse to say "thank you," I usually say very loudly, "You're welcome," to embarrass them.

However, I'm a woman and I feel the question was meant to address a man holding the door open for a woman.

Some women don't appreciate the door being held for them due to strong feminism and an attitude of "I can do that myself." This, in my opinion, is rude and unmannerly. Males who do so, usually do so out of courtesy and mean well; however, these women refuse to acknowledge the courteous intention and instead choose to feel offended and somehow demeaned, by assuming that these men should somehow know that they are one of the women who feel this way.

I can't imagine how confusing this must be for a guy. Some women are greatly offended if a man doesn't hold the door for; some are offended if you do. Until men learn to be mind-readers, let's just assume that they're opening the door out of courtesy.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Excellent answer!

5. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 22 months ago

Yes.  I always say thank you and I always hold the door open for someone behind me assuming I can (sometimes if I'm carrying my daughter it's not feasible in which case I apologize for not holding it). 

I think some people may be distracted and just not thinking clearly when they don't say thank you, though if I see that they're paying attention and I make eye contact and they still don't smile or say thanks I'll say "you're welcome!" or "have a nice day!" as cheerily as I can.  Kill 'em with kindness.

6. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 22 months ago

Yes, always. Acknowledging a courtesy doesn't mean you've thrown your principles out the window. It also doesn't mean you're inviting a conversation with anyone. It was a courtesy and it was acknowledged and that's all there is to it. It's been my experience that people of all ages appreciate a simple thank you.

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 22 months ago

oh yes definitely, this is what we called politeness
    Regardless of race, religion or sex, I do say thank you whenever someone opens the door for me.
    This is a cool and gentleman action for men and for women, courteous.

8. freecampingaussie profile image64
    freecampingaussieposted 22 months ago

I always smile and say Thank you if someone does something for me and I try to help others as well. It is very much appreciated!

9. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 21 months ago

Once, I was in a really horrible mood.  I went to the mall to pay a bill, and while there, bought a 6 pack of beer to cheer myself up.  I was arguing with myself because I really needed to go to the gym, rather than drink and add calories.  On my way out the door of the mall, some high school guys cheerfully opened the door for me.  That instantly put me in a much better mood!
    Why did they open the door for me - and everyone else who exited?  Because they were skateboarders, and weren't supposed to be there!  In Hawaii, you're allowed to skateboard only in a skate park.  People have been arrested for doing otherwise.
    However, no one has hired me to be a cop.  So I said, "Thanks!  Show me some stuff!"  They were surprised, but showed me some kick flips and other tricks.
    I wound up going to the gym, and had the best workout ever.  I completely lost interest in the beer.
    A little kindness goes a long way!

10. nnms profile image81
    nnmsposted 20 months ago

I usually say Thank You....but when i hold the door for others I rarely heard saying thank you to me.