jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Kevin Spacey comes out as being gay - is anyone else surprised?

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 3 months ago

Kevin Spacey comes out as being gay - is anyone else surprised?

Apparently the rumors are true - Kevin Spacey comes out as gay - BUT, only after being accused of trying to seduce an underage actor many years ago.   In 2010, Spacey called coming out "a line I've never crossed and never will."
    "I don't live a lie. You have to understand that people who choose not to discuss their personal lives are not living a lie. That is a presumption that people jump to,"

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13761330_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 months ago

I could've sworn he was already out. (shrugs)

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 3 months ago

I had no idea what his sexual orientation was, actually having read his statement the first time I thought he was just summarizing and didn’t realize that was him coming out for the first time.

I think if he wants to share it with the world then great, it was also fine when he wanted to keep it quiet. Totally his choice and he’s allowed to change his mind about how he wants to express it.

I don’t like the timing, though. I really hate to criticize anyone for coming out as I know it’s a very difficult thing for many people but in my opinion it kind of took away from his apology and the accusation made against him. It felt like a redirect.

In a small way I guess it gives the accusation a little more to stand on (confirming that he was likely to pursue a man/boy) and perhaps it was part of his admission that yeah, this could have happened, but I really think he could have added that in while keeping the apology and condemnation of that kind of behaviour as the focus rather than flipping it so that him coming out was the focus.

4. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 3 months ago

R.S.//There has been rumor & speculation around Kevin for a very long time.  When asked point blank during interviews, he never confirmed nor denied, leaving it open, of course for more gossip.
    My opinion~~Hollywood? Who the heck cares & why would it matter? This same rumor has gone on & on about Tom Cruise and John Travolta.  I can't think of anything that interests me less.  If I like them "as an actor," their sexual orientation does not dissuade me.
    Once again, it's Hollywood, the hugest den of iniquity in modern day, in the Universe.  Sex, drugs, rampant adultery, divorce, alcoholism, narcissism, it's life as usual for this rare breed of humans.
    Any celebrity who wishes to maintain secrecy, I wish them luck. 
    Am I "surprised" about Kevin?  Absolutely nothing~nothing you could name, could possibly surprise me about a Hollywood star.
    These people are the original and the epitome of "putting lipstick on pigs."  Add gowns, tuxes & Oscars & we have an enormous, luxurious celebration in a pig pen.

5. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 months ago

I don't really care about anyone else's sexual orientation, unless I'm planning on dating them myself. Since I'm not planning on dating Kevin Spacey, I'm not interested.

I do care that he chose to come out in the middle of apologizing for sexually assaulting a 14 year old. That's not about his being gay. It's about his being a creep, and potentially a pedophile. Mentioning that he's gay in this context only perpetuates the myth that gay men are predators.

And don't get me started on the whole "it was 30 years ago, and I was drunk, so I don't remember" apology. Seriously? Just say you're sorry, and you were wrong.

In summary: don't care that he's gay, but appalled at what a creep he is.

1. savvydating profile image97
      savvydatingposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Well, let's just hope he is gay, and not a pedophile because those are definitely two very different things.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 3 months ago

I'm so uninterested in men I'm usually slow to pick up on things like this. Of course with some persons it is perfectly obvious. With him I'd have never thought so. In any case, I don't care in the slightest. He's a great actor.

7. savvydating profile image97
    savvydatingposted 3 months ago

Sounds to me like Spacey has an active PR team. I didn't remember trying to "get it on" with a 14/year old. I'm astounded! I'm gay! I don't lie. I'm sorry. I don't remember.

Yeah, right.

Eeew! He a good actor, except when he's pretending to be a real person. What a sorry excuse for a human being. How convenient that he's suddenly chosen this time to "come out." And how dare he try to identify with decent gay men. Spacey sounds more like a pedophile to me. Gays like men, not children.

Long story short, Spacey is a lowlife.

working