jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Worst movie remake

1. Jonathan Janco profile image73
    Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago

What's the worst movie that was a remake of an earlier, better movie. And not a movie that's just a ripoff of another movie, an actual remake.

If you can't think of one, then what movie do you think should be remade.

I think the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still was a terrible shadow of the original. Just a bunch of techs having a field day. Terrible script, subpar acting. Give me the original I'll take that one any day stone-age special effects and all.

I wouldn't mind seeing them remake the 39 Steps yet again or even better would be Forbidden Planet. Shakespearean scifi at its finest.

1. RockerGinger profile image83
      RockerGingerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's not out yet, but the remake of the Crow. I'm sorry, no one can do it better than Brandon Lee (may he rest in peace) and I just feel that they shouldn't remake an already brilliant movie.

Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All the staight to video sequels also were kind of like remakes. So making this one doesnt make much sense to me either.

2. Lisa HW profile image80
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Stepford Wives was one I think should have been left alone (not that I liked the first one, but I think they should have let it be its weird, mediocre, thing and not re-made it.

The only thing I really think re-making is OK with might be real "heavy duty classics" (in which case it should be a kind of open field).  Things that aren't real classics are things I think should be left alone. (I think writers/producers should think up new stuff if a heavy-duty classic isn't involved.)

3. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

I thought "mr. deeds" was awful, and so was the "miracle on 34th street" remake.

Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, forgot abt miracle. That reminds of Lindsay Lohan in Parent Trap. That's gonna give me nightmares.

1. Lisa HW profile image80
        Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The original King Kong was kind of ridiculous ("special effects-wise" - and yet it was what it was.  I kind of think they should have left that one alone.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
          Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know about that. If we're talking about the first remake in the 70's, then I do agree with you, as that was a piece of garbage.  However, if your referring to the one directed by Peter Jackson, then I have to disagree with you.  Like you, I too enjoyed the original for what it was, and I still do to this day.  However, what I liked more about the Peter Jackson version is that it had a deeper character exploration between King Kong and the girl (sorry, i forget the characters name).  To where instead of King Kong being a violent ape that kidnapped Naomi Watt's character, you could actually tell there was a deep friendship between them in spite of their differences.  Which only made King Kong's demise that much more potent and deep on a emotional level.

1. Lisa HW profile image80
            Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm not a good one to judge because I was little when my sister and I would love to see that it was going to be on TV.    Maybe kids see things with more simplicity, but we pretty much saw King Kong show his gentler side toward Fay Ray (sp may be wrong there).  We always cried at the end.   lol  I haven't seen that one in decades.  Maybe I wouldn't cry now.  lol

4. optimus grimlock profile image52
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

The day the earth stood still was better then the original. better effects,acting but it did get slow in the middle and they did have an interracial couple that wasnt in the original soooooo......
    I liked Mr Deeds but it was way funnier and different then the original. The psyco remake with Vince Vaughn was the worst remake ever!!!!

working