jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)

SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today

1. rodelmore profile image60
    rodelmoreposted 5 years ago

Are you relieved that the SOPA and PIPA were were dropped?  Do you think we can hold-on this freedom?  What are your thoughts?

1. SimeyC profile image97
      SimeyCposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never really thought it would pass. What needs to happen is that all parties involved need to sit together and come up with a solution - no one likes infringed copyrights (as many writers on here can tell you) - but to try and make sites like Google, Hubpages etc police the content is wrong.

There has to be some way where there is a solution that will satisfy all parties invovled and not endanger the freedom of the internet!

2. VeronicaFarkas profile image84
      VeronicaFarkasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very relieved. My fiance - an open source (Linux) system administrator- and others that I know would've been out of a job. Not to mention the obvious things that would've happened w/ content and censoring.

I, too, didn't think that it would pass. I've been fighting it for a couple of months now.

Being that congress' site was bombarded with hits in response to blackout wed., (among many other, more involved reasons) I don't think that this will be an issue again for a long while.

1. VeronicaFarkas profile image84

It's postponed, yes, but isn't going to happen. They can reintroduce it in a year, and it's not going to make a difference...

1. Stevennix2001 profile image92
          Stevennix2001posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hope your right about that...

1. VeronicaFarkas profile image84

Meee toooo. =]

2. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Long live the internet.

3. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Posted an hour ago, from
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/248468/c … _hold.html

"Rocked by Internet protests, the U.S. Congress is postponing action on the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act."

Postponing and dropping are two very different things.  Don't expect this issue to disappear or to be able to relax about it.  The movie industry lobby invested millions backing those measures and they aren't about to stop now.

I read a similar article on MSN about that too.  I doubt seriously this is going away quietly.  If anything, I think this is probably only the beginning.

1. vmartinezwilson profile image86
        vmartinezwilsonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was watching the South Carolina primary and there was a commercial about internet pirating.  I thought it was a dead issue, but it looks like its really not. 

Also, on Wiki, they have a sign, saying thank you for protecting them.  Underneath is says, (We're not done yet)  Let's hope not.

4. Michael Willis profile image81
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

A State Representative to Congress from here in Arkansas also mentioned in a TV interview that the "postponement" would not end this issue. It will continue, maybe just re-written.
    The CBS local anchorman also stated that CBS corporation was also in support of this legislation.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Basically, they are all thinking about the election smile

1. Michael Willis profile image81
      Michael Willisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good point!!! And true I believe.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image92

That's true.  Incidentally, here's a useful article that I found that might help those that are constantly calling their local senators about these proposed PIPA and SOPA bills. smile

http://publicknowledge.org/blog/fake-pr … a-and-pipa

1. Michael Willis profile image81
        Michael Willisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that link. Interesting.

Your welcome.  I wish I could say that I feel relieved that this whole SOPA and PIPA issue was over, but I have a feeling this could be only the beginning....

1. rodelmore profile image60
            rodelmoreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh boy. I hear you..

6. capricornrising profile image62
    capricornrisingposted 5 years ago

I'm ambivalent, of course, being myself a writer, as many are. But the bills as written appear to be seriously flawed. I do think a more nuanced re-write is in order. And then will come the question of enforcement.

1. Aficionada profile image90
      Aficionadaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. profile image0
    Infinite712posted 5 years ago

That's good to hear. I knew they weren't going to pass though.

working