Double Strollers: Umbrella vs Duoglider/Tandem
A Mother to 7 Kids Discusses Double Strollers
Double Strollers are one of the greatest inventions for busy moms. I know my mother would have appreciated having one of these when we were young. My grandmother even more so, since she had 12 kids! Today there are many different types of double strollers available. As a mother to 7 kids, I have owned many different kinds of strollers: single and double. I would like to share the pros and cons of each one in order to help you decide which one is best for you, I hope it makes it a lot easier for you. One less thing to worry about.
Double Umbrella Strollers
These are the strollers that are side by side., Before you make a decision there are a few things you need to consider. These strollers are great for kids that are similar in age. They are also excellent for those moms that like to exercise. Since the weight is distributed, it is much easier to maneuver. If you're a jogger, this is the stroller for you! It also convenient when you are going shopping because it has several handles and you can hang your bags on them.
What to look for in a double umbrella stroller
You may be tempted to just buy the most inexpensive one, but don't do it. You really do get what you pay for.
- They don't have any back support.
- The feet support tends to break quickly.
- The rubber grip on the handles falls apart quickly.
- The stroller only provides one position.
A better model is the Jeep Wrangler All Weather Twin Sport g-edition Stroller
- The canopy covers the entire area of the stroller. Some umbrella strollers only have it on the top, which doesn't work in areas which experience cold weather.
- It has dual reclining seats. This is great if one child is awake and the other is sleeping. It's also sturdier and more comfortable on their fragile backs.
- The wheels are a better quality. One time while using my double umbrella stroller in the city during the winter, a chuck of ice broke the wheel right off. I had to call someone to come and help me because I was pretty far from my home. You don't want to experience that!
- It has a cup holder for you! Need I say more?
I've highlighted a few of the double umbrella strollers, so that you can understand what I'm discussing. You can view other models by clicking on any image below.
Duoglider and Tandem Double Strollers
These strollers are great for children that are not the same age or size. For example, when I gave birth to my last child (#7) my next youngest was 3. For this reason I needed a stroller that had one side for an infant and the other for a toddler. I suggest you purchase a stroller that provides a detachable infant car seat. It's perfect because you don't have to take the baby out of a car seat to put it in a stroller. This can wake the baby up and I know you don't want to do that! Once the baby gets a little bigger, you can still use the stroller without having to make another purchase.
The Benefits of Duoglider or Tandem Stollers
- Depending on the brand, the double stroller may come with an infant car seat. If it doesn't bring one, it's because you may be able to use the car seat you already own. Many of these strollers are compatible with different brands, so you just snap them into place. In some models, you may have to buy a separate attachment to connect the car seat, In my opinion, it's worth purchasing the extra hardware. Transferring an infant from a car seat to a stroller is disruptive and they will be vocal about it!
- All of these double strollers are easy to close. They are usually designed to be able to be closed with the use of one hand.
- They offer dual reclining seats. The Tandem stroller I highlighted to the right is awesome because you can have the kids face each other!
I hope this review helps you make an informed decision on your purchase. May it help you create lots of enjoyable memories with your most precious gifts...
More Family Product Reviews
- Where to Buy an Origami Stroller
- Best Baby Bottle: Traditional vs Playtex Drop-Ins
The kind of baby bottle you decide to use is an important matter. We all know breastfeeding is the healthiest way you can feed your baby. Hey, I breastfed all of my biological children, but eventually you...
- Ten Suggestions for Your Child's Birthday Party in Middletown NY
As a mother to 7 kids, I've attended more birthday parties than the average mom. The following ten suggestions for kid's birthday parties in Middletown NY are personal recommendations. I have to admit, I...