THE WORST THING

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8581285_f520.jpg
    Name the 6 WORST thing that people have assumed and/or believed about YOUR birth order  and family size status?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8583886_f248.jpg

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, hmm... My birth order:  I'm at once the youngest and the oldest.  Whatever people think or assume, I've never been privy to, as they've not shared those opinions with me. 
      I did read a book about birth order, and the things it says are typical for eldest and only children are so far off-base for me as to be laughable.  You see, I think it has much more to do with environment, and how you were raised, with what expectations, etc., than about your sequence of birth in the family unit.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ms. Lizzy, only children are  BLESSED.  Only children are the MOST UNIQUE of all birth orders.  They are also unfortunately the most maligned and misunderstood of all birth orders.  However, only children have a LOT going for them..
        http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8390330_f248.jpg

ONLY CHILDREN are THE ULTIMATE and DON'T EVER FORGET THAT!
        http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8507554_f248.jpg

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm an only! No idea what that means though!

BEAUTIFUL!  Only children are the MOST UNIQUE birth order there is.  We were never dethroned as oldest children are.  They have the most undivided parental attention.  They are not overburdened and discarded in favor of younger siblings as oldest children are.  They are not forgotten and overlooked as middle children are.   They never experience parental favoritism which is rife in multichild families.

Only children have space and privacy.  They know how to appreciate our aloneness and uniqueness.  They also know how to rely and depend upon ourselves.  They know how to entertain ourselves and be creative. We are also highly individualistic.  They work well alone and do not see aloneness as a stigma.  They aren't afraid to be by myself as opposed to those in multichild families who are often petrified of being alone. 

Not to disgress, some of the most creative people in the world are only children. Only children are quite comfortable reading, sketching, and pursuing solitary activities.   They also have monies allocated to us to pursue cultural and intellectual activities which children in multichild families cannot.  They are also the most likely to attend college as a result of more monies allotted.

Only children are LOVED and CHERISHED by our parents.  Be proud to be an only child. They are beautiful and caring people.  Being only children teach us to reach out to people and develop fierce friendships and family relaitionsships.  People w/siblings tend to be insular and not seek outside friendships.

People  with siblings, particularly those from large families  have very few friends and outside relationships, depending SOLELY upon siblings for friendships and companionship. People from large families are highly suspicious and distrusting of outsiders. They have an us vs. them perspective.

Only children do not have that, only children are more universalistic in terms of relationships.  They have a lot of friendships and a variety of friendships.  They have no problem forming friendships and reaching out to people.  I have see this among many only children, including myself.   

Being only children teach us that parents are friends and companions.  How many children in multichild families, esp. large families, have close relationships with their parents?  Few and far between.  Only children have that special bond with our parents that children in multichild families do not have. We are INDEED BLESSED!
            http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8628863_f248.jpg

There is a saying about onlies.  Parents of onlies GOT IT RIGHT the first time.  The next time someone has anything negative about only children, say that!  God Bless and have a Lovely Night, WrylLit!

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, either loved and cherished by your parents or so hated they vowed never to have another such creature!

As the eldest of five, I've always assumed I was such a sweet and wonderful child that they kept going in the face of adversity (my siblings), always trying to get another like me! lol

That's SWEET!  That reminds me of an oldest child.  There was one co-worker, the oldest of 8 children, whose mother stated to her that she was INSUFFICIENT and NOT PLEASING.  She cried to me and other co-workers that her mother was not happy with her at all! 

She stated that for those reasons, her mother had 7 successive siblings until she had a child that WAS FINALLY RIGHT!   There is an adage in multichild families, that if a child is the youngest in the family, be honored for the parents are finally pleased and GOT IT RIGHT, STOPPING at THEM!
                http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8628888.png

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
              DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, let's see, here:
              1) My parents struggled a bit to have me (my dad was "considerably" older than my mom..a "May-December" relationship), so once I was born, my dad was bound and determined that nothing bad was going to happen to me.  As a result, I was very severely overprotected--given very strong roots, but no wings. (Example:  my dad refused to let me have a bicycle, on the grounds that "some drunk might drive up on the sidewalk and hit you!"  I finally got a bike at age 12, when my girlfriends in the neighborhood were putting theirs away as "outgrown toys of childhood.")

2)  I always wished for a sibling; I was the "lonely only," I'm not especially happy to be alone--I like to share experiences with friends and/or family.  I love to be around crowds of friends and family, and parties.

3)  I fought going to college after high school--I struggled just to be an average student, and I was determined that once I'd finished my legally required 12 years, there was no way I was volunteering for more time in school at that point.  (I finally did go, and get my AA degree when my own kids were in high school; and graduated with honors, thank you very much, because I had to prove to myself that I was smart enough to do so!!)

4) My parents' age difference was so great that my dad's family, who lived in-state, were way out of sync with my age--my first cousins were my mother's age; their kids were infants and very young children when I was 8 to 12 or so...I was raised as a miniature adult, more comfortable with those of my father's generation than with my own peer group.
              My mother's family was 3,000 miles away in MA, so I only saw those cousins, who were about my own age, perhaps 9 times over the course of my growing up years.

5) Due to #4, I know songs I have no right to know by virtue of my own age--tunes from both World War eras, as well as stuff from Mitch Miller and the Gang (we had the sing-along records)...that's what I was listening to and enjoying when my peers were listening to and screaming over the likes of Bobby Darin and the Beatles.

End result--I'm pretty much a misfit!  I'm the "Jill of all trades, master of none," because I have too many interests to master any one of them; I'm a dabbler. 

At age 65, I still don't much care for being all by myself except when I'm trying to accomplish a task--I don't like interruptions.  But to go out hiking, camping, shopping, what-have-you, I want company.

So, that's what I mean when I say that the things it says in the birth order psychology do not fit or apply to me at all...i.e., so far off base as to be laughable. 
              ;-)  But--I am who I am, and that's that.

You're not a misfit at all. Rejoice in your onliness.  Only children receive such a bad rap from the sibling society which makes many ashamed to be an only child.  My advice to you: be an unapologetic only child.  Say: I AM ONLY AND DARN PROUD.  I am an unapologetic only child who will be quite confrontational when the sibling society and culture disparage and cast aspersions on only children.   I also will defend EVERY only child.  We WILL stand up and be proud, hear me, Ms. Lizzy. Be proud.

Be like those from large families, people knock them constantly; however, they will tell you despite their poverty and deprivations, they are proud to be in a large family.  Only children had better stop being apologetic to the sibling majority and assert themselves.  Onlies now comprise 47% of the population and are growing.   We are in GREAT company: Betty White, Condoleeza Rice, Charlize Theron, Chelsea Clinton, Natalie Portman, Lauren Bacall, Robert DeNiro, Jerry Lewis, Adrien Brody, and a host of other illustrious souls.  We have class, remember that.  Peace and Love from a sister only.  I would NEVER change being an only child for the world.  NEVER!
                http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8631342.png

2. chuckandus6 profile image77
      chuckandus6posted 7 years agoin reply to this

People assume because i was;the youngest girl i was spoiled but my parents actually;spoiled all;of;us equally

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So sweet..........indeed.  It's nice to hear from you again!

1. chuckandus6 profile image77
          chuckandus6posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank You ive been so busy working on a hub about resort i work at in NH

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)