Tips on teaching children how to use the bathroom (wiping properly, washing hand

1. LowellWriter profile image80
    LowellWriterposted 8 years ago

Tips on teaching children how to use the bathroom (wiping properly, washing hands, etc.)

2. Ms_Shae profile image76
    Ms_Shaeposted 8 years ago

Modeling. Children learn by watching. If you make it a part of your routine to wash hands directly after using the restroom, and before meals, the child will as well. Consistency is the key to teaching any child and if it's a girl you just may want to remind her front first, then back. Boys and wiping is just slightly different. Just tell them to make sure the tissue is clean before they get off the toilet. Adaptable toilet seats make the transitions of toilet training easier, as well. You just have to, basically, respond to the child's needs during that time; as every child is different.

3. susanlang profile image57
    susanlangposted 8 years ago

The first thing I try to do for the children is to make sure they can reach the sink. Often, a child is too short and their abilty to reach the water handles let alone get their hands fully under the running water, is sometimes a very hard task.  So, if the child is too short, I offer them a step stool which helps and puts an end to that problem. Next, I ask the little ones to make sure they wash with lots of soap and water, both hands while singing a childhhod tune they know at least 2 times. Then, I ask the little ones to use a towel to grab the sink handles with and turn off the water. I then ask them to use the other side of the towel to dry their hands. Part Two: How to wipe properly. I teach them to use enough toilet paper to cover the palm of their hand, then wipe from front to back. I ask them to wipe at least 3 times because you want to be sure they have wiped their self clean.  Its ok to use a small piece of toilet paper to grab the door handle once they are leaving the bathroom. That helps avoid the germs on the door handle from ending up back on their hands. Mom or dad should go around with disinfecting whips and clean door handles at least 3 times a week to help keep the germs from spreading.  I hope that helped.  Susanlang

working