jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How do you know the proper age to give a child cell phone?

1. Carson Creek profile image58
    Carson Creekposted 8 years ago

How do you know the proper age to give a child cell phone?

What's the earliest age a child should have a cell phone of their own?

2. Sasha S profile image71
    Sasha Sposted 8 years ago

I would say when they first have need to contact their parents on a regular basis. With me, for instance, it was when I started secondary school (at 13) and needed to phone my parents to have them come and pick me up from the train station after school (I went to school by train but got driven to the station from home).

3. sarovai profile image76
    sarovaiposted 8 years ago

Giving the cellphone to children is not so encouraging. Because of the radiation from cellphone. It affects some part of the body and hormones.So, unavoidable circumstances only, for a limited period of  time, we shall provide them cell phone.

4. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Not until they are in their early twenties. Seriously.  There is a lot of research, suppressed by cell-phone companies, of greatly increased risk of brain tumors for heavy cell-phone users.  And children are even more susceptible, due to their brains still being in development.

But, look at the positive.  The heaviest users are usually the biggest idiots, so thinning the herd in that way would be a good thing.

5. mayhmong profile image65
    mayhmongposted 8 years ago

I say, wait until they get their own part-time job to pay off their own monthly bills. Just make sure that they understand the whole concept of the contract before its too late! It probably wouldn't hurt  for them to try a prepaid phone first.

6. profile image0
    Tech Stud(ly)posted 8 years ago

The cell phone is relatively unnecessary until they are either driving on their own, working, or otherwise needing communication with you. Other than that, computers or regular phones work fine, and if they REALLY need to have a phone with them, you can get them a prepaid as suggested before, or just let them borrow yours.

7. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 8 years ago

give your child a phone of their own as long as they are awy from home and their parents for more than 7 hours a day---  basically when they start school.  if you are not taking them to school you need to be able to be in touch with them, as they also need to be able to contact you if anything happens on the bus, etc.  communication is good, especially in this day and age.  Every parent need to be in the know at all times

8. It's just me profile image60
    It's just meposted 8 years ago

For reviews about cell phones for kids check out http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16044093/

9. profile image0
    mariyammaposted 8 years ago

After 20 only kids should be given mobiles