jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Effects of Fighting Parents on Children

1. Anamika S profile image56
    Anamika Sposted 7 years ago

Effects of Fighting Parents on Children

2. ECDupree profile image55
    ECDupreeposted 7 years ago

Children learn what they live, therefore if they are in a hostile environment there is a good chance they will at some point emulate that behavior. I think it is likely to teach them poor problem solving skills, so when they grow and encounter their own problems they may use the same "methods" as their parents to resolve them.

Also, if the fighting is loud and/or violent think of the fear they must feel as they witness it. To be fearful in one's own home is not good...your home is supposed to be your sanctuary not something to fear.

3. FeniqueS profile image75
    FeniqueSposted 7 years ago

If you can, try not to in front of the children.  Children do take in a lot and remember even more.  Depending on how old the child is talk to them and tell them that sometime mommy and daddy argue.  But, make sure they realize that does not mean you love each other less.  That little bit of reassurance does help.

My friend and his wife what they do so as not to argue in front of their 3yrs twins.  They text each other or one will be on PC, IM'ing the other will be on cell/black berry or laptop out in the garage, back yard.  So the kid won't hear.   I know I laughed too, but the kids don't hear the fighting.

4. dawnM profile image66
    dawnMposted 7 years ago

If the parents are fighting infront of the children and the child grows up with this, then most likely it becomes the norm for them.  Fighting is acceptable to them and this will have a negative impact on the rest of their lives.

5. ggerner profile image60
    ggernerposted 7 years ago

Parents don't always agree. That's a given. What matters is HOW they disagree (or fight). If there is respect for the other person's viewpoint, an effort to listen and understand, and a workable agreement on how to move forward, then this can be a positive influence and learning environment for the children.