jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Hi Heather, Do you have a good meatless chilli recipe?

1. profile image46
    123Ladybugposted 7 years ago

Hi Heather, Do you have a good meatless chilli recipe?

2. skgrao profile image72
    skgraoposted 7 years ago

Yes the South Indian Green Chilly Pickle.
    Making this yourself or should I ship it for you.
    Method of Preparation.
    1) Take Big Green Chilly cut them vertically to 1/2 inch pices and remove all seeds.Use Hand Gloves for this.
    2) Put them in a 500 Gm Jam Bottle 3/4ths full.
    3) Add Salt 10 tea spoons.
    4) Allow 7 days for salt and Chilly to self mix and shake the bottle daily,you see the Juice at the end of 7 days.
    5) Heat in a pan 5 table spoons of ground nut oil for 2 minutes and add 1/4 spoon of Cumin Seed soon it starts cracking now add 1/2 spoon of turmeric and 1/4 spoon of LG Hing Indian Spice available in Indian Store. and now allow it to cool.
    6) Mix the Chilly and salt in the 500 gms Jam bottle with this Vaggarne in the Pan and let it be fully mixed with this oil.
    7) Put everything back in to the 500gms Jam Bottle.Use it with anything from Sandwiches to Vegetable Boneless Chicken
    * Terms & Conditions apply.

3. michifus profile image81
    michifusposted 7 years ago

I was a veggie for a year and used to make it with exactly the same recipe, but using soya mince instead of minced beef. Did the job.

4. FeniqueS profile image74
    FeniqueSposted 7 years ago

I've been a vegan for little over a year also and make it the slow cooker I do get a chili seasoning mix.  What I use is:

Boca Meatless Ground Crumbles
    LightLife; Gimme Lean Ground Sausage style also meatless.

Chop up some: Red, Green, Yellow and Orange bell peppers (Onion optional)

White Corn

Black, Kidney and Garbanzo beans

16oz can of natural or organic tomatoes sauce or diced canned tomatoes or both depends on your taste

I season with Chili, Garlic, Onion, Cumin and Paprika  Powder. 

Herb seasonings, I buy these seasonings that are in grind mills, so I can put just ground herbs in.

If you use salt, use sea salt.  I don't like using any salt if I can, again that personal choice.   

Put all in slow cooker with just enough water to cover everything, with the top being on it will make its own liquid.

Put it on low before I leave to do my long day errands, when I come home its done.   

Oh, just don't forget the crackers, cheese and the eggs while you're out.  In the morning you can make a Chili omelet.

5. Simple Tim profile image54
    Simple Timposted 7 years ago

I usually substitute brown lentils instead of ground beef.
    You can buy them pre cooked or whole. If you have whole seeds soak overnight then boil for 20 minutes until tender.
    Heat oli in pan.Add 1 chopped onion .Simmer until brown.Add crushed garlic clove.Add one teaspoon garum masala.One teaspoon chilli powder or sliced green chilli and half teaspoon tumeric. Simmer for two minutes then add five chopped tomatoes.Once cooked add lentils.Add can of tomatoe paste this gives a sweet taste and  thick texture. Allow to simmer then serve hot with garlic bread.

6. HeatherVegRD profile image58
    HeatherVegRDposted 7 years ago

Sorry!  I haven't logged into HubPages in a while and didn't know I had a question!!!

I have a pretty simple recipe that people really like.

1 onion - chopped
    1 green pepper - chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 Black bean burger patties (these are optional - I usually don't use them)
    2 large cans light red kidney beans (the largest they have - not sure the ounces)
    1 14 oz can tomato sauce
    1 large can diced tomatos
    1 large can water
    1 packet of French's Original chili seasoning

1. Saute onion and green pepper until tender in low heat in vegetable oil.

2. Crumble black bean patties into pot

3.  Add the rest of ingredients to pot (including onion and green pepper). 

4. Bring to a boil; then turn down heat to low and simmer until thickened. 

I hope you like it.  Sorry for the delay in answering!  It's winter now, so chili sounds pretty good!