Its in the evening, and there is no time to put our stew meant in the crock pot.

1. profile image45
    Paris.Crystllynposted 7 years ago

Its in the evening, and there is no time to put our stew meant in the crock pot. whats a fast,...

easy way to cook it?

2. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

You can cook up a mean stew on the stovetop in about an hour and a half. This is a fairly simple recipe and it's a bit on the fly here, but basically you do as follows. I won't leave the ingredients separate, you'll have to decipher that out of the directions below for the sake of saving space.

Put about a tablespoon of oil into a large, deep skillet—a 5 qt. would work great (and make sure you have a lid for it). Slice some onions. Add the onions and the meat. Brown the meat with the onions. Once brown add 1 can of beef broth and 1 cup of wine. Add cut up carrots, and cut up, peeled potatoes. Add 1 can of peas or 1 can of corn w/liquid. Add 1 can of mushrooms, w/liquid. Add 1 tsp each oregano, italian, and thyme. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 tbsp minced garlic if you have it). Sprinkle in about 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Bring liquid to a slow boil, then cover, lower the heat and simmer for about an hour. Voila! You'll have a fairly good stew just as good, if not better than the crockpot.

Hope that helps in a pinch.

BTW, sometimes I like to throw in a small, 8 oz. can of tomato sauce to this as well when I add the broth and the wine, or just toss in a can of diced tomatoes. It's up to you, really, what you want to put in the stew. Be imaginative.

working